Peter Jennings Reported to Have Lung Cancer.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Drudge Report Link: http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3pjc.htm

I am diametrically opposed to his world view, but I sincerely wish him good luck. I hope to hell they caught it VERY early.

V/R,

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I would hope they caught it early too, but since it's lung cancer, it's quite likely it wasn't.

Five year survival for lung cancer is about 10%.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Lung cancer is hard one. I think unless they can cut a large chunk of your lung out and get it before it spreads then ... enjoy life while you can.

Considering he's on chemo' ...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Actually, I think Jennings is a conservative if I'm not mistaken.

But anyways, politics definitely shouldn't be part of this conversation.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Are you saying you're diametrically opposed to peace?

Or is it this whole "liberal media" thing?

A wise man (above) suggested that we keep politics out of this thread. Afterall, this isn't PoliticalOutsider.

When I was growing up, suppertime was accompanied by either Uncle Walter (Cronkheit) or by Cousin Peter. I've "known" him for years, so to speak.

I've had family and friends Depart because of cancer; it ain't pretty. Hospice workers are saints. I sincerely, sincerely wish Mr. Jennings and his family well.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Fair enough. But since you opened this thread with a political statement, I'd sure like to know what you intended by it.

That there comes a time to set aside the profound and passionate differences that you have with individuals (while not surrendering one's principles) when they are so stricken.

Yesterday he was an opponent. Today he's an ill man. Good luck to him.

Hope that this post satisfies your curiosity as to my motive, Objectivist Bastard that I am.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Then why mention it at all?

Truth is, he was very good at his job, very charismatic, and didn't deserve to get sick this way. His politics are irrelevant (and I still don't know what they were). It's especially sad since he quit smoking more than a decade ago and only relapsed for a short time right after 9/11.

No one deserves to get sick this way (with the firm exception of Saddam Hussein). I've seen this goddamn disease up close and goddamned personal (in two variations: bladder and lung cancer) unfold twice. It is goddamned awful, goddamned ugly and goddamned tragically sad.

As for the first part of my first post in this thread: it was simply a statement of fact; I don't agree with his worldview.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight, I was trying to draw attention to the fact that Peter Jennings has lung cancer. Fights are for PoliticalOutsider. Here, in the Insider Lounge, is the proper place for a thread to talk about a man with lung cancer. Contribute, or do not, as you wish on this sad topic.

This post, by the way, is the final response that I am going to make in regard to analysis of the first eight words of the first sentence of the first post in this thread.

Life is indeed peaceful and calm without caffeine and with sufficient sleep.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 7 of 10
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Then why mention it at all?

Truth is, he was very good at his job, very charismatic, and didn't deserve to get sick this way. His politics are irrelevant (and I still don't know what they were). It's especially sad since he quit smoking more than a decade ago and only relapsed for a short time right after 9/11.

maybe he didn't deserve it but he shouldn't have smoked, he knew the dangers....