Apple Japan launches Apple Store Mobile

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's happening. Before you can use your mobile phone to purchase and download CD-quality audio tracks, you can use it to log on to the Apple online store and purchase an iPod for yourself or a friend...if you're in Japan.

Today Apple Japan quietly launched the Apple Store Mobile, a version of its online store that it has made accessible from Japanese mobile phones.

The Web site address is only accessible when connecting from certain mobile handsets in Japan and disallows access to traditional Web browsers.

In addition to offering mobile customers the full array of iPod digital music players, reports indicate the mobile store is also selling iPod accessories and the Mac mini.

It would seem likely that Apple would launch a similar service for US-based mobile phones in the near future. However, it appears the company has its hands full inking revenue-share agreements with mobile carriers so that Motorola can launch its iTunes-compatible handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Holy crap! This is awesome.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I would be surprised if Apple started doing something like this in the US soon. Japan is a unique case in regards to the use of portable phones.

For lots of reasons people in Japan are already accustomed to purchasing all sorts of things via their cell phones (kay-tai-den-wah). Access from a phone goes through the phone access provider. They made it easy for sellers to pass on charges to users via their monthly phone bills. Hence, rather than the situation we have here in the US where much web content is free, in Japan most cell phone delivered content carries some charge.

Now you can purchase train tickets, theater tickets and all sorts of information via your cell phone and the charge shows up on your monthly phone bill. In the US, we are a long way from an analogous use associated with our cell phones.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    davey-nbdavey-nb Posts: 32member
    The technology seems awesome but I can't picture the need to order a computer from my phone. Maybe that's because I have a computer at home and would order an iPod, LL Bean or J Crew from the 20" screen of my iMac in the comfort of my home office. Is this aimed at people without computers?

Has the desire to order an iPod ever overwhelmed you so much that you have to do it while walking down the street? Maybe in Japan the phone is becoming a computer for those who need to live small?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    BREAKING NEWS!

You can order Apple products from your mobile phone in the US right now!

Here's the number you dial:

1-800-MY-APPLE

Try it, it's cool And great for people who don't own computers!

PS, I like the gadget shown in the picture. Almost Apple-esque.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

PS, I like the gadget shown in the picture. Almost Apple-esque.

:gasp: You're right!!! I bet this is the new super secret iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

And AppleInsider created the ridiculous "Apple Retail" forum because...???

Probably in relation to sites like: http://ifoapplestore.com
  • Reply 7 of 11
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I posted this article hours before Kasper, in future hardware.

I figured mobile phones + online shopping = future apple products...

i guess that it is a difficult one to catagorize...

\
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

My point is that there's no excuse for Kasper to post in the wrong forum.

You're right. Our publisher system has some bugs, it seems. This was supposed to be part of Retail Discussion, and I'm moving it there now =P

Cheers,

Kasper
  • Reply 9 of 11
    jonnybjonnyb Posts: 64member
    The phone in the ad is the 'Talby' phone designed by Marc Newson and it is quite Apple-like. Unfortunately, it's only available in japan