Powerbook Bad RAM SLOT ???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 1.25 Ghz PowerBook (the first aluminum vers.) It has an original Apple 256meg RAM chip and a Replacement 512meg RAM chip in the upper slot.

The other day I noticed my comp running slow and after some investigation I noticed that it was only showing the chip in the top slot and not the bottom.

I opened it up and pulled the chips out reseeded them and it worked. THen it froze after 24hours usage. When I rebooted it only saw the upper slot again.

Then I switched the chips to the otehr slots and rebooted. Same thing. It worked for a day and then frooze. Upon reboot, it only saw the top slot (this time the 512 chip)

Anybody know of RAM slots going bad? Each DIMM seems to work fine in the top slot, but nothing stays stable in the bottom slot.

I want to avoid sending it in to Apple if at all possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

I have a 1.25 Ghz PowerBook (the first aluminum vers.) It has an original Apple 256meg RAM chip and a Replacement 512meg RAM chip in the upper slot.

The other day I noticed my comp running slow and after some investigation I noticed that it was only showing the chip in the top slot and not the bottom.

I opened it up and pulled the chips out reseeded them and it worked. THen it froze after 24hours usage. When I rebooted it only saw the upper slot again.

Then I switched the chips to the otehr slots and rebooted. Same thing. It worked for a day and then frooze. Upon reboot, it only saw the top slot (this time the 512 chip)

Anybody know of RAM slots going bad? Each DIMM seems to work fine in the top slot, but nothing stays stable in the bottom slot.

I want to avoid sending it in to Apple if at all possible.

dude you need to compare notes with BoeManE:

"Faulty Ram?"

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=52345

Could be his and your slots. his powerbook: out of warranty. yours?

yes, sending to Apple not sound good if not under warranty.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

dude you need to compare notes with BoeManE:

"Faulty Ram?"

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=52345

Could be his and your slots. his powerbook: out of warranty. yours?

yes, sending to Apple not sound good if not under warranty.

I have apple care. Wouldn't buy a Laptop without it.

But my problem is not the RAM. It is the slot. The bottom slot does not recognize any DIMM no matter what brand or size.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

I have apple care. Wouldn't buy a Laptop without it.

But my problem is not the RAM. It is the slot. The bottom slot does not recognize any DIMM no matter what brand or size.

If you have AppleCare, why NOT take it to Apple and have them sort the problem out ... unless of course you ABSOLUTLEY need it. In that case, you need to find an Apple service provider in your area to do the warranty work ... either way, if you have a bad slot, it's going to have to go in and have the logic board swapped out.

If it's not recognizing ANY RAM, then it probably is a faulty slot, but you need to take it in to be sure. You bought the warranty, let it be Apple's problem now. Just back up your important data and take any other additional security steps you prefer before taking it in...

Hope that helps ... 8)