Who thinks Mail app needs an update? any alternatives?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have been having a lot of trouble with my Mail app recently. It seems everyday it has a thing pop up "server rejects password please reenter" and I have to type it in. Plus sometimes I will send an e-mail and after a friend replies I will not recieve it until a week later, and it will accept it all at once. doesn't seem like its my e-mail provider because it says the date it was recieved was like "Jan 30" but I get it on Feb 7th, when I check my e-mail everyday.

I was wondering what would be a better e-mail app other then entourage, or if apple will update Mail for Tiger?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Mail has been radically updated in Tiger. Look at Apple or remember that Google is your friend?.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    What you are describing is symptomatic of email in general and probably not your mail program. Unfortunately, no matter which program you use, you will occaisionally get "ancient" email. Mail can get stalled at various places along the delivery path. Typically this means either your mail server or the sender's mail server is having issues. Or... sometimes the mail was not immediately sent from the sender's mail client no matter how emphatically they claim it was.

Try looking at the full headers of the delayed email. You should find various time stamps to help track down the problem.

The password issue could be Mail.app. Your mail server may prohibit checking mail more than once every certain number of minutes. If this is the case, it will cause a login failure and mail.app will assume that the cause could have been an invalid password and ask you to enter it again. If this is what is happening, you can set your mail client to check mail less frequently.

Mail has been upgraded significantly in the soon to be released MacOS 10.4. However, I don't think the update will change anything with regards to your issues.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

I have been having a lot of trouble with my Mail app recently.

I only get those problems when there is something wrong with the server. I would follow the advice above.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I get frustrated that I always have to reset my column views in Mail in the order I like them in "From" "Subject" "Date" "To". But every other day it resets to the default of "Subject" first.

This drives me crazy. Once I setup the columns shouldn't it remember my setup? It's a goddamn computer.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    That sounds like a corrupt configuration file. I suspect that if you deleted said file, it would get regenerated from scratch and the problem would be fixed. When I get home tonight I'll burrow through the file system and try to figure out if there is an easily deleteable file which stores these settings...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

It seems everyday it has a thing pop up "server rejects password please reenter" and I have to type it in.

I often get this. When I contacted my hosting company, they told me it was because I have the mail app open on two different computers simultaneously (laptop/desktop).