Why does Apple bury spell checking?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It's buried in the Edit menu in all the apps I've used. I didn't think much of it since I just hit Apple-Shift-; to activate spell check, but yesterday a Windows user was confused about whether OS X had spell check, and explaining how to use it was a bit of a chore. She said in Windows, most apps have an icon in the toolbar for spell check, and that sounded like a damn good idea.

So why no spell check buttons in the toolbars of OS X apps? Apps like Mail and Safari would really benefit from having a continuously visible spell check button that lets switchers know the capability is there. Apple has such a good thing going with system-wide spell check, and they should exploit it to their advantage.

So why does the company known for brilliant GUI design bury the spell check command in the second level hierarchy of the Edit menu, and give it an arcane keystroke shortcut?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Well, mail checks your spelling in real-time, and Appleworks has a spell-check button. In Safari, you can right click text to get spelling help.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Windows has buttons in the toolbar for *everything*. It's kinda cluttered like that. Print Preview??? I mean, do you always always need that so close to hand that the File menu is just too much to go to?

One of the things that strikes me about OS X is that toolbar buttons are usually to do with manipulating stuff within a document, with all the superfluous buttons stripped away. Sundry things like Open, New, Save, Print, and so on are in the menus rather than in your face all the time. Spelling is the same - it's only in your face when it spots a spelling mistake (assuming you have "Check Spelling as You Type" switched on... I can see it's a bit out of the way if you don't).

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 3 of 24
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    edit>spelling isn't exactly what i would call "buried."
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Do we really need to explain why Windows users need a spell check button right in their face??
  • Reply 5 of 24
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by belisama

Do we really need to explain why Windows users need a spell check button right in their face??

Yes, please.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    When I got my Mac, one of the first things I did was come here actually. I replied to a thread and made a couple of typo's and noticed a red dotted line. Hmm spell checking, aint that good. I continued to type and browse all night long playing with other bits of the OS.

My point? I didn't worry ANY more than that. Hell I didn't realise there was even a spell check button there! "Check spelling as you type" is on by default and I just thought that's how OS X worked. Hell that's how it should work, like someone always watching you over your shoulder pointing out misspelled words as you go, instead of them coming in at the end and saying "that's wrong. So's that. And that. This is also wrong. Oh, don't forget that one."

Turn on "check spelling as you type" and forget about EVER having to press a spell check button. Maybe with the time you save, you could take pity on Windows users.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

edit>spelling isn't exactly what i would call "buried."

Not for AI users, but for most computer users Apple's spell check might as well be a hidden file in the root directory.

And yes, I'm fully aware of the check spelling while you type feature, but that's not as useful as an actual spell check that suggests corrections for each misspelled word. Many users don't type with spell checking on, because we find it annoying.

Yeah Arnel, I know what you mean about Windows having too many things crammed into the toolbar. But many people, spell check is one of the most frequently used features of any application that deals with text input. It seems like this has as much of a right to be in my Safari toolbar as something like "Home" or "Autofill".

It's not a big deal, really, I was just thinking of it as a minor inconvenience. Most people I know use spell check on a regular basis, regardless of their spelling ability, so the spell check function seems like a candidate for toolbar status in any text-input application.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I agree with the Dawg.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If people can't look in menus, there's little hope for them. First lesson of using Macs: the menus contain every tool for that app. While a toolbar button might be useful, the inability for someone to click at the top of the screen isn't an excuse to cram every tool into the window's toolbar. If people want a postage stamp of work area and a bajillion toolbars and buttons, Windows apps provide that experience often enough for their satisfaction.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    I'm sorry, but there is no need with the check spelling as you type feature. When you misspell a word, you automatically know it, and can right click the word for suggestions or keep typing and come back later.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

I'm sorry, but there is no need with the check spelling as you type feature. When you misspell a word, you automatically know it, and can right click the word for suggestions or keep typing and come back later.

That would be ctrl-click for mac users
  • Reply 12 of 24
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Not if they have a real mouse.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

• Reply 14 of 24
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

When you misspell a word, you automatically know it...

you're kidding, right? people make mistakes all the time while typing WITHOUT KNOWING IT. that's why there are professional wirters and set-aside proofing stages in every respectable section of publishing on earth.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

you're kidding, right? people make mistakes all the time while typing WITHOUT KNOWING IT. that's why there are professional wirters and set-aside proofing stages in every respectable section of publishing on earth.

Reread the post. Spell checking as you type highlights and corrects the typo.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    What isn't so obvious is that any NSText field (ie, all cocoa text fields) support it. When you're saving a file, the check spelling as you type is turned off, but you can turn it on, or run a spell checker on it, or simply control+click on a word you think is wrong and still get suggestions! Never save a file with spelling mistakes again!

Also, control/right+clicking in the text field always has at the bottom of the contextual menu:

Spelling

Font

Speech

Writing Direction

I'd say spellchecking is well covered. It's services that are buried.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are. The olny ipmtornat tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgiht pclae. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig. I awlyas tohghut slpeling was ipmorantt!
  • Reply 18 of 24
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Also relatively undocumented... the auto-suggesting spelling trick.

Panther and Jaguar users can start typing a word, then hit Option-Escape and have the dictionary pop up a list of likely candidate words based on the letters typed so far.

Not perfect, but sometimes a time/typo saver.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    yea.... so, hmmmmm

how is the windows way better, again?

Oh yea, thats right, IT ISN'T.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

I'd say spellchecking is well covered. It's services that are buried.

I'd agree that Services are more buried than Spelling. I'm running a third party app that puts services in a contextual menu, but without it I almost never use services, since it's buried in a menu at the same level as spell checking is buried.