Removing Aluminum PowerBook LCD Backing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
well, my complimentary warranty has expired, so its time to crack this sucker open and mod the Apple logo. only problem is, i can't find any instructions on how to get the aluminum backing off of the display. after several hours of searching, the best i could find was pbfixit's guide to getting the entire display off - which is much, much more than i want to do. it seems like there are only two screws holding the back of the LCD on, to the left and right of the hinge. does anyone here at appleinsider have any experience getting this part, and this part only, off? and if so, could you hook me up??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Don't kill it! What do you actually want to do to the Apple logo?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    i'm fond of the colored apple logo. i performed this mod on my old iBook, which was very easy...i'm wagering that it probably would be too difficult to be worth trying on the powerbook, lest i bend metal...but if anyone knows of an easy way, what i aim to do is the same as what i did before....

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_p...hp?picid=27063

the yellow stripe looks thicker for some reason, but its not in person. i used an apple logo window cling...scanned it and sized it appropriately, then had it printed on transparency film. there's already a white sheet inserted to diffuse the light that comes through the LCD, so the colors show up bold and glow bright...

i sold that laptop a while back (it also had black TiBook keys on it) and have always wanted to mod the new powerbook..