Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    naderbynaderby Posts: 131member
    woo hoo
  • Reply 2 of 96
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Woot!
  • Reply 3 of 96
    Just realized I have an 8 o'clock exam that next day, oh well midnight party at Apple Store comes first
  • Reply 4 of 96
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Then I'll wait until Tiger and buy my mini. good news.
  • Reply 5 of 96
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Then I'll wait until Tiger and buy my mini. good news.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

However, it looks like my new iBook's GPU won't support core image. SUCKS! But I will live.

Core Image-capable graphics cards include:

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

ATI Radeon 9600 XT, 9800 XT, X800 XT

nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200

nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

• Reply 6 of 96
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Wow... LOTS of color!!

Are we getting out of the "brushed aluminum and white" and going back into a color phase?

Would be nice to have some color back, at least in the consumer area. Or hell, gimme some Matt Black PowerBook Wallstreet lovin' biaaatch!

*err*...

hurrah
  • Reply 7 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

However, it looks like my new iBook won't support core image. SUCKS! But I will live.

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

Well, it looks like Mac mini won't either. Hm. Having second thoughts.
  • Reply 8 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Well, it looks like Mac mini won't either. Hm. Having second thoughts.

I have been waiting for Tiger as well before getting a Mac mini. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a Rev. B mini in the next 2 weeks or so. I am going to be putting Tiger Server on mine anyways so I'm not that worried about it, but they still need to do something. I just wish professors would realize that today is a big day and cancel classes.
  • Reply 9 of 96
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    OK, ONE LAST TIME:

Your computer will support CoreImage, just that it won't use the GPU to do the processing, it will use the CPU. Everybody got that? Your iBook, Mini, iMac, PowerBook, G4 PowerMac, etc. will support CoreImage! Any Mac with a G4 or higher will support CoreImage! Don't make me repeat it 100 times!
  • Reply 10 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

OK, ONE LAST TIME:

Your computer will support CoreImage, just that it won't use the GPU to do the processing, it will use the CPU. Everybody got that? Your iBook, Mini, iMac, PowerBook, G4 PowerMac, etc. will support CoreImage! Any Mac with a G4 or higher will support CoreImage! Don't make me repeat it 100 times!

Are you sure???? (sarcasm please don't hurt me)
  • Reply 11 of 96
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

I have been waiting for Tiger as well before getting a Mac mini. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a Rev. B mini in the next 2 weeks or so. I am going to be putting Tiger Server on mine anyways so I'm not that worried about it, but they still need to do something. I just wish professors would realize that today is a big day and cancel classes.

i knew the fanboys would be going nuts

nah it's all cool bro

i'll be 'scheduling' a purchase along the lines of a

mac mini rev B

inclusive of iLife '05 (or '06)

tiger 10.4.2 shipping with mac mini

sweet but affordable 17" DVI lcd with a

3 year no-dead-pixel warranty
  • Reply 12 of 96
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

OK, ONE LAST TIME:

I meant my GPU. I will try and be more exact next time...
  • Reply 13 of 96
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple unleashes Tiger.

Apple today announced that Mac OS X version 10.4 Â?TigerÂ? will go on sale Friday, April 29, beginning at 6:00 p.m.Â*during special events at AppleÂ?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Tiger has more than 200 new features and innovations including Spotlight, a revolutionary desktop search technology that lets users instantly find anything stored on their Mac, including documents, emails, contacts and images; and Dashboard, a new way to instantly access important information like weather forecasts and stock quotes, using a dazzling new class of applications called widgets.

Pricing & Availability Â*

Mac OS X version 10.4 Â?TigerÂ? will be available on April 29Â*beginning at 6:00 p.m. at AppleÂ?s retail stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $129 (US) for a single user license. Visitors to the Apple Store can pre-order copies of Tiger beginning today. The Mac OS X Tiger Family Pack is a single-residence, five-user license that will be available for a suggested retail price of $199 (US). Volume and maintenance pricing is available from Apple. The standard Mac OS Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchase a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after April 12Â* for a shipping and handling fee of $9.95 (US). Tiger requires a minimum of 256MB of memory and is designed to run on any Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G5, G4, or G3 processor and built-in FireWire.

Meanwhile, Amazon.com, via a rebate, is offering Tiger $35 cheaper than Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 96
    Quote:

OK, ONE LAST TIME:

We know that. What we meant was that our GPU will not be able to handle CoreImage relegating more work to our CPU.

I'll say it 100 more times, don't mess with da CoreImage! :P
  • Reply 15 of 96
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple unleashes Tiger.

Apple today announced that Mac OS X version 10.4 ?Tiger? will go on sale Friday, April 29, beginning at 6:00 p.m._during special events at Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. .....

mm.. special events at Apple's retail stores...!! what could they be???
  • Reply 16 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

mm.. special events at Apple's retail stores...!! what could they be???

I was talking with the head of Mac's here on campus back 3 months ago and he told me we were suppose to have a special even on campus, hosted by Apple, whenever Tiger came out because of the mascots being the same....I'm going to talk to him today and find out for sure. So LSU, Auburn, & another colleges that have a tiger for a mascot ask around and see.
  • Reply 17 of 96
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Now, where is Quartz 2D Extreme? All I can find is Quartz Extreme, available already in Panther. I remember a video stream (from Apple) for developers, where there was a clear explanation of what Quartz 2D Extreme is exactly. Perhaps the answer is hidden here? If so, I don't see why Apple hides important OS features.

Also, what happened to OpenGL 2? Tiger supports OpenGL 1.5. I had the impression that OpenGL 2 was coming with Tiger.
  • Reply 18 of 96
    Spotted video conference requirements part way down spec page, looks like none of Apples Laptops, emac, mini will be able to initiate a multiway video conference in Tiger!!!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

As follows:

Video conferencing with iChat requires a compatible FireWire DV camera or web camera and broadband Internet access. One-to-one video conferencing requires a G5, G4 or 600MHz or faster G3 processor and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access. Initiating_a multiway video conference requires a G5 or dual 1GHz or faster G4 processor and_384-Kbps or faster broadband access. Participating in a multiway video conference and initiating a six-person multiway audio conference both require a G5, 1GHz G4 or dual 800MHz or faster G4 processor and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access.
  • Reply 19 of 96
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

If there is no typo in this list, then even the Radeon Mobility 9600 Powerbook will be unable to run Core Image/Video on GPU. If I remember well, the 9600 was initially included. Anyone knows what is going on here?
  • Reply 20 of 96
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

If there is no typo in this list, then even the Radeon Mobility 9600 Powerbook will be unable to run Core Image/Video on GPU. If I remember well, the 9600 was initially included. Anyone knows what is going on here?

Is that list just laptop cards or does it mean my Radeon 9000 Pro is out too?