New G4 towers w/ Sony Superdrives?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
From <a href="http://www.macrumors.com"; target="_blank">http://www.macrumors.com</a>;

I just purchased a new 1.0 GHz iMac from an Apple store yesterday. To my surprise the Apple System Profiler reported that the DVD drive was not a Pioneer drive, but instead is a Sony DVD RW DW-U10A. Apparently this is a DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW drive. I had not been aware that Apple changed DVD drive hardware venders.

Apple has previously used a Pioneer drive in the past (for their "Superdrive"), which was limited to DVD-R and DVD-RW formats.

Can anyone comment or verify?

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: dstranathan ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I would bet Apple has disabled the DVD+R/W capbility for now either with firmware or a simple lack of drivers. Somebody with one of these new Macs should test DVD+R/Ws with Toast...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Apple also uses LG,
  • Reply 3 of 4
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I would bet Apple has disabled the DVD+R/W capbility for now either with firmware or a simple lack of drivers. Somebody with one of these new Macs should test DVD+R/Ws with Toast...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Firmware disabled it appears... using toast resulted in a strange error by one of my friends. I will test my tower to see what it comes with on monday. Ive had a strange feeling that this is why the dual 1.25s w/ superdrive were backordered for 3 weeks because of supply problems... hummm cooincidence I think not.

A@ron
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I wonder whether the Sony drives can be bought separately with its 'normal' firmware for older PowerMacs, like the Pioneer DVR-105, and used with both DVD-RW and DVD+RW via Toast? Perhaps its firmware disabled because the Finder and iApps don't support DVD+RW.

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>