Deleting your Cache

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I followed these instructions, and somehow managed to lose my address book, and email (data) as well as some other things that I don't really care about at the moment. I had dropped the files into the trash w/o deleting them. I didn't expect any surprises, but figured if something did go awry, I could replace the files back in "~/Library/Caches/, where '~' is your home folder". Well, that didn't seem to change anything, which really has me confused. Anyway, at this point I'd just like to recover my old email, and address book data. Could someone tell me where these files are saved (OS X.3.8)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Deleting your Cache: by Defiant

Deleting your cache may be necessary if you experience any of the following:

you have more than one of the same preference panel in your System Preferences

CD's, DVD's and HD's don't mount properly or don't even show up

Applications behave strange

etc.

Delete everything in

Deleting your cache isn't dangerous; it only deletes the cache, ie. things who are stored there so that an application has faster access to it, or because it needs to store some things.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You didn't drop the *whole* Library in the trash, did you???

Address Book info: ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/

Mail: ~/Library/Mail

You were just supposed to drag the *contents* of ~/Library/Caches/ to the trash.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    --------

An aside regarding Mail:

Ideally you should *always* save your email on the remote server as well as your local machine.

In Mail's Preferences go to Accounts, Advanced and DESELECT the "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message".

There are very few reasons to only want a local copy with no remote backup for an email.

Apple has this checked by default for some ungodly purpose.