Recommend a good LCD display?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am trying to find a good LCD display for my radeon 8500 equipped G4/400. I will then use this display on the G5 which will hopefully come out in June, so I need a monitor compatiable with both machines.

I was eyeing the SAMSUNG 172X-Silver 17" LCD Monitor for $369

Or should I go 19''? Or? Hmm. Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I really like the Samsung LCDs. Nice and bright and sharp. My mother just bought the 710n model. Sounds like you have a step up model that should be even better.

I'd say check out some of the LG midrange units and even keep your eye on some 19" models at around that price. They might not be as sharp but the size is great.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Not sure how they're fairing in the price/performance space these days, but not too long ago NEC made some of the best to be had. Really nice thin bezel beauties in the 19" range.

I agree about the Samsung.

Speaking of price/performance, Dell seems to be able to deliver a lot of display for the money, but back light consistency and colormetry are issues if you're doing critical graphics work.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Go as big as you dare afford, then go another $500 after that....Apple or NEC should be your only choice, and Proview(Fred Myer) for your secondary monitor.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Samsungs 213T is about 700 dollars and has a $100 rebate right now. Imagine 21" of pure LCD love starting back at you. Dig deeeep in those pockets.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Samsungs 213T is about 700 dollars and has a $100 rebate right now. Imagine 21" of pure LCD love starting back at you. Dig deeeep in those pockets.

dude he wanted advice on a good LCD monitor not how to blow cash

well i guess you gave advice on both the above points
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Damn, 21" of Samsung goodness for $600? Wish I was in the market.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Dell makes very good displays. When you look for the deals, 20" regular and widescreen are usually available in the $550-$600 range.

I don't really follow the smaller screens, which change more rapidly, but if I had to buy one I'd probably go for Viewsonic VP171b. Viewsonic's pro series has the best looks of all displays IMO, and even the smallest one, 17", has pivot plus three degrees of adjustment.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    www.firingsquad.com has an excellent round up of TFTs

Check it out, the results and analysys might surprise you

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/..._roundup_0405/
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

www.firingsquad.com has an excellent round up of TFTs

Check it out, the results and analysys might surprise you

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/..._roundup_0405/

Doesn't surprise me. I've always dug NEC displays.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Hi! Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this, but hey. I just bought the 19" Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP display, and i'm quite underwhelmed honestly. First of all it's waay to bright for my taste, but that is adjustable. My main problem is the 'leaking' of light from all corners. Even in a not-entirely-dark room it's clearly noticable. Is this normal? Thanx!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Not sure how they're fairing in the price/performance space these days, but not too long ago NEC made some of the best to be had. Really nice thin bezel beauties in the 19" range.

I agree about the Samsung.

Speaking of price/performance, Dell seems to be able to deliver a lot of display for the money, but back light consistency and colormetry are issues if you're doing critical graphics work.

I like the NEC stuff, i have a 19" 1935NXM and a 17" and both came with no dead pixels. I cant think of anything that would piss me off as looking at some dead pixels all the time.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I got the samsung 19'' synmaster 930B LCD Monitor. It is very nice.

However, I am using the provided VGA cable, my radeon 8500 has DVI. Would a DVI connection increase the video quality?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Would a DVI connection increase the video quality?

Definitely.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Newegg has the 172X with 2 mail in rebates avaialble bringing it down to $219 after rebates... hard to top for a Samsung LCD with DVI.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Text is not as nicely anti-aliased was it was with my CRT. None of the settings dont do much good. Is this caused by the VGA?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Text is not as nicely anti-aliased was it was with my CRT. None of the settings dont do much good. Is this caused by the VGA?

dude, you gotta go with DVI instead of VGA. Also, you can click on System Preferences > Appearance > and adjust the level of text anti-aliasing, if you haven't done so already... but like you said the settings didn't help.

try DVI connection ??