Odd email from MacZone...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just got the usual sort of MacZone ad mail, but this one had **TEST** appended to the subject line, and...

- $500 drop on the PowerBook G4: $2295 (1.5GHz, 17", Super)

- $400 drop on the iBook G4 $1099 (1.2GHz, 12", Combo)

?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Just got the usual sort of MacZone ad mail, but this one had **TEST** appended to the subject line, and...

- $500 drop on the PowerBook G4: $2295 (1.5GHz, 17", Super)

- $400 drop on the iBook G4 $1099 (1.2GHz, 12", Combo)

?

Any name on the email? PM me if you want to keep it private. I work for Zones. I think it's just the price cut on the last models.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Any name on the email? PM me if you want to keep it private. I work for Zones. I think it's just the price cut on the last models.

I have a seemingly reliable report suggesting some price-cuts to iBooks in May, but the Pwbk bit makes no sense. The magnitude of the cuts would also seem extreme, no? Both those figures put the models well below their current wholesale value. Just some food for thought. I'll look into this as well.

Best,

Kasper
  • Reply 3 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, I got to thinking... the current 17" is 1.67GHz, yes? I wonder if this is a leftover email from when *those* were released, and the previous 17" was 1.5GHz?

Sorry guys, this could be a complete red herring... :/
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Still looking to purchase and wondered about resellers. Why should one buy from MacZones and the ilk? What do they have to offer that the apple store doesn't? Do you pay sales tax?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Advance The Man

Still looking to purchase and wondered about resellers. Why should one buy from MacZones and the ilk? What do they have to offer that the apple store doesn't? Do you pay sales tax?

Tax only to IL,WA,NV,TN and CA. I think pretty much all the resellers are the same. You will see very similar deals with all like free memory(if you let us charge you for installation ) but good deals can be had and depending on where you live tax free<snicker> is nice. I don't want to sell Maczone too hard because I like to remain as unbiased as I can here but feel to PM me if you want me to relay your information to a good rep once you start fleshing out your Mac plans. It really boils down to how good the rep is that you speak to.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    MacMall has very good service and quick shipping too, plus a good selection of third-party products. (edit) btw, a 12" ibook for $1099 isn't that great of a bargain.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

MacMall has very good service and quick shipping too, plus a good selection of third-party products. (edit) btw, a 12" ibook for $1099 isn't that great of a bargain.

Because of EDI every company linked has access to just about anything out there. So it becomes more of a matter of who's advertising in your catalog and who's not but their products are all easily orderable.

I work in Corporate Sales so I don't generally utilize the catalogs much. Buyers have a general idea what they want and you give them the options.

As you can see from the CDW adds proliferating on this site CDW is by far the largest reseller. I wouldn't necessarily call them the best but they "got it" quicker than most other companies.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

I work for Zones.

Yeah?

I own some of their stock.

When the hell is it going to go up?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

Yeah?

I own some of their stock.

When the hell is it going to go up?

No comment. Thanks for the support though.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Because of my recent experience with them, I'm about to file a complaint at the B.B.B.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Because of my recent experience with them, I'm about to file a complaint at the B.B.B.

Yeah, I black-listed MacMall recently too. Long story short, just because the listing says a piece of hardware is Mac compatible, that doesn't mean it is, (Do your research at xlr8yourmac etc first) When they say the FedEx guy will just pick up the return, they're lieing, and expect to be hung up on by the sales rep at least once when you call about the package... then get rude and you might get some results.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    FYI: Got a followup email from them, that basically just said "Our bad, sorry, ignore."