USB Printer Sharing and Bonjour

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
why can't they do anything to help a PC print to a printer connected to a Mac any easier? I really don't want to have to buy a base station but I will because my wife is about to Kill me since .3.8 killed her printer sharing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

why can't they do anything to help a PC print to a printer connected to a Mac any easier? I really don't want to have to buy a base station but I will because my wife is about to Kill me since .3.8 killed her printer sharing.

umm.... why do you think that this does not work with printers shared from computers?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

umm.... why do you think that this does not work with printers shared from computers?

Because I just tried it and it does not recoginize my Epson R300 connected to my G5 iMac from my wife's PC box, my dell notebook, my gateway notebook, my sisters dell desktop, and my spare pc in the basement.

Am I wrong here?? I need to get this working if there is hope...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

okay y'all, check it out... remember that this bonjour-on-windows stuff is designed to sell more airport express base stations to PC users.

that said though, i have been inspired by bonjour-on-windows. doesn't fit my needs but i have

1. figured out mac os 10.3 and windows 2000 networking through airport card in my iBook and crappy 802.11b PCI wireless card on pee cee.

the main problem was the tricky setting up the workgroup in "SMB-directory-access". see this page, solved my problemas big time.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704

2. i am not trying printing from windows to a mac connected printer

3. however i am trying printing from a mac to a windows connected printer

4. 1 has been succesful, especially from that macrumors thread, to do both-ways networking (windows can see Mac home folder, Mac can see windows shared folder) note that you have to ensure Users,Groups,SharingPermissions stuff should be set up on Windows for your Mac to 'see' and modify the shared windows folder.

5. will report on no. 3 if i have time today after my sausages and eggs breakfast... mmm mmmm

hmurchinson - i think i'm mildly autistic or something. can't remember what i had for lunch yesterday but when inspired i can program flash or get windows to talk to mac ... only when inspired though, just gotta ride the wave and reap the benefits
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Because I just tried it and it does not recoginize my Epson R300 connected to my G5 iMac from my wife's PC box, my dell notebook, my gateway notebook, my sisters dell desktop, and my spare pc in the basement.

Am I wrong here?? I need to get this working if there is hope...

There is some other problem here. But this thread is not the place to discuss it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

There is some other problem here. But this thread is not the place to discuss it.

no worries. aplnub and others (including me probably), we'll have to start a thread in Genius bar (and take it from there)

Bonjour On, fellas.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

There's been a preview of the Windows version available for a while now:

http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/

Like danielctull, it was the only way I could get my wife's Dell laptop to print to our Canon i850 on the Airport Express. Works a treat.

It's good to see Apple are going to be pushing it further on other platforms .

good to hear dell-canon-airport express went well 8)

Note that the Rendezvous Preview for Windows readme states that it does not support printing to Mac-shared printers because Mac Printer Sharing does not use Rendezvous.

I wonder if Tiger Mac Printer Sharing will support Bonjour ?

Curious because this would be handy for those without an Airport Express base station.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

good to hear dell-canon-airport express went well 8)

Note that the Rendezvous Preview for Windows readme states that it does not support printing to Mac-shared printers because Mac Printer Sharing does not use Rendezvous.

I wonder if Tiger Mac Printer Sharing will support Bonjour ?

Curious because this would be handy for those without an Airport Express base station.

So I am not crazy. Thanks for the heads up. I guess we can wait and hope with Tiger but if that doesn't solve my problems, I may just buy an AE and use it for network printing.