YAMmT (Yet Another Mac mini Thread)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok before I get flamed for this, I want to know this simple thing. When the Mac mini first came out everyone (including myself) talked about using it as a server. Now I have read about the different companies that are doing it colocation and have read numerous threads on that topic. However, I want to know how many Individuals bought a Mac mini and is running Mac OS X Server on there. It doesn't matter what version of server but how many have a personal server at home using a Mac mini.

The reason I ask is I'm waiting until NAB to purchase a Mac mini (yes I know it probably won't be updated but what's another week) before I buy it. It will soley be used for hosting my website and music. I'm going with the 1.25Ghz 80GB 512MB RAM configuration. I am eventually buying an XServe (when the website grows) but for starters I am planning on the mini. I have setup multiple Mac OS X Server's so I know what I'm doing so please no info on that.

Cliffnote: People talked about getting a Mac mini for use in home server, how many have actually done this and is willing to give their opinion on it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I tried OSX server but I wasn't pleased with performance (mostly HD related, I?m sure) and it?s greedy memory usage. I ended up dumping it for NetBSD, couldn?t be happier (i.e. fully supports the Mac Mini). Save OSX server for a machine intended to run it. If this is not for production and intended for only goofing around, go for it, it?s always fun to hack.

What's your question about home servers, is it on usage or setups?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

I tried OSX server but I wasn't pleased with performance (mostly HD related, I?m sure) and it?s greedy memory usage. I ended up dumping it for NetBSD, couldn?t be happier (i.e. fully supports the Mac Mini). Save OSX server for a machine intended to run it. If this is not for production and intended for only goofing around, go for it, it?s always fun to hack.

What's your question about home servers, is it on usage or setups?

Thanks for that reply Relic. No question about home servers on usage or setting one up. I just wanted to see how many people have actually done what we were all talking about when the Mac mini came out, ie make it into a personal server.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I upgraded one of my B&W 300mhz G3s to a mac mini to reshare out NFS shares. It was heaps faster.

I replaced my HD using Windnuts most helpful instructions (an my ram) using a Hitachi 7k40 (40GB 7200rpm 8MB cache).

Runs even better than before.

And its headless. I use Remote Desktop 2(.1) on it.

I will do the same to my other servers when i can afford it.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    I don't know what you are planning to do with your Mac mini server but if you just want to share your music, photos, and a few other files, you don't need to buy OS X server. The standard OS X should do the job.

EDIT: Reread your post. Web hosting can be done with plain OS X. Music can be served on your local network (not the internet) with iTunes.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I don't know what you are planning to do with your Mac mini server but if you just want to share your music, photos, and a few other files, you don't need to buy OS X server. The standard OS X should do the job.

EDIT: Reread your post. Web hosting can be done with plain OS X. Music can be served on your local network (not the internet) with iTunes.

Dobby - Thanks for the info, it's reassuring that it can handle it and I read your post about changing out the HD, great post btw. How much traffic do you have going to your mini on an average day?

BeigeUser - Thanks for the info as well, I already have Mac OS X Server software so it's kind of stupid not to use it in my opinion.