Are faster DVD-RW drives coming?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The Pioneer DVR-A03 has been around for a while now so do you that Pioneer will launch a new dvd-rw drive with faster dvd recording speeds and cd recording speeds? The cd-r and cd-rw speeds are still on the slow side, especially when compared to Ricoh's dvd+rw drive. The Ricoh is something like 2.8x dvd-r which is equivalent to 20x on cd-r, and it is 12x10x32x for cd. Seems better than the 8x cd-r and 2x dvd that the Pioneer offers. I heard that Lite-On is going to be coming out with a dvd-rw drive soon, and that is good news because Lite-On makes high quality low cost cd-rw drives that work flawlessly in Macs. So anyone got any news about future products perhaps?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    probably not. it took a long time for CD-R speeds to advance. they were stuck at 2X and 4X for a long time and then slowly moved to 6X and then 8X but after that they took off and now they are at an astonishing 32X!!!

DVD-Rs will likely be the same. 2X in DVD recording is still a lot of data moving.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Faster peripherals are ALWAYS in the pipeline. Taken from cdrinfo.com

[quote] Mitsubishi Electic announces 4x DVD-R/40x CD-R laser diode

Mitsubishi Electric Corporation starts the sample shipment of the laser diode "ML1XX17" that support up to '4x DVD-R & 40x CD-R' recording from November 21st. The sample price is around 3,000 Yen ($24). The massive production starts from March of 2002, with monthly output of 10.000. Mitsubishi promises stability operation of more than 1,000 hours!<hr></blockquote>

New advancements in Laser Optics and these types of diodes fortel future advances.

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: hmurchison ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I've seen a CD-ROM drive advertised at 52x
  • Reply 4 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>I've seen a CD-ROM drive advertised at 52x</strong><hr></blockquote>

CD-ROM not CD-R. I think CD-ROM is up to 72X or something like that
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Yeah I was gonna post that article from cdrinfo.com. I visit that site a lot.