What 'level' of hardware is Tiger designed for?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm starting to get a little concerned about the difference in processing power between Apple's fastest machines (DP 2.5GHz G5) and their slowest machines (iBook 1.2GHz G4).

I can't remember the gap between the fastest and the slowest ever being so big. The reports about Apple increasing the minimum spec to 512MB also worries me a bit.

When Apple developed Tiger, what kind of benchmark machine do you think they had in mind? I'd hate to think that they had a DP G5 in mind, and that consequently when you purchase an iBook you find that it just isn't up to scratch.

I guess that they have to make sure that Tiger performs okay on the slowest machine that they are currently shipping, but Apple's idea of okay might not match mine.

I'd be interested to hear from developers who have been running Tiger and their experiences of how it performs on various machines?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Currently, one would have to think they have built Tiger for the "what's to come" and "high end what is here now" machines. Otherwise, I would be dissapointed.

Apple has done a great job, I assume because I have not run tiger on my iBook, of making Tiger very compatiable with current slower/older machines that do not have flashy GPU's and up to date processors.

It seems this is the case from reports that high end G5's and computers with supported GPU's are seeing noticeable improvements.

Make sense?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

I'd be interested to hear from developers who have been running Tiger and their experiences of how it performs on various machines?

Just as before, Tiger runs faster than the previous version.