Dual DVI Output Video Card for PowerMac G5?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I wanted to know if there are any PowerMac G5s that have single video cards with the capability to feed two separate displays via DVI. If so, which video cards support this? I don't want to send the signal via VGA.

I just picked up two Dell 1905FP UltraSharp displays on the cheap for my PC, and they look beautiful. I'm hoping that if I upgrade to a new G5, it would include dual DVI out on one video card, and not dual VGA.

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I think the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL is Dual DVI.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:

I'm hoping that if I upgrade to a new G5, it would include dual DVI out on one video card, and not dual VGA.

None of the cards available for PowerMacs G5 have VGA out. All have dual digital out. The GeForce 6800 GT and Ultra have both two dual-link DVI ports and the rest have one DVI and one ADC which is DVI plus power plus USB. There is an adaptor ($30) to connect a DVI monitor to the ADC port.

Edit typo.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    inakainaka Posts: 29member
    Awesome, thanks for the info.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yikes, I just checked the BTO cost for adding a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL to a PowerMac G5 setup, and it's +$500. Since I do 99% DTP/Publishing DTP work with no gaming, this card seems like overkill.

Would the standard NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra card (with a $30 ADC > DVI adaptor) suffice for someone with two DVI displays with a screen resolution of 1280x1024? Again, no gaming, but DTP, web, some video work, DVD, etc.

Sorry, for the naive questions, I'm just pretty clueless abut video cards, and even after reading the "learn more" about them from Apple's web site, I can't really forecast real world situations or potential issues. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Would the standard NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra card (with a $30 ADC > DVI adaptor) suffice for someone with two DVI displays with a screen resolution of 1280x1024? Again, no gaming, but DTP, web, some video work, DVD, etc.

Yes I think it should be just enough but the best option would be getting the 9600XT with 128MB as BTO for just $50 specially since Tiger's Core Image relies on the GPU.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks again for the info. I'll probably wait for the next lineup upgrade bump (possibly next week), and go with the min 128MB vid card, thanks.