Briefly: Apple Remoter Desktop 2.2, Dashboard, Mac RAM boost

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple to roll out Apple Remote Desktop 2.2

In exactly two weeks Apple is will begin shipping a new version of Apple Remote Desktop that will provide compatibility for Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" and improved reliability for Apple Remote Desktop users on Mac OS X 10.2.8 "Jaguar" and Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther".

The new version, labeled Apple Remote Desktop 2.2, will pack over a dozen new features including remote software installation, screen sharing, standards based reporting, task lists, and an improved setup assistant.

The release will also offer offline reporting, remote shell scripts, directory based authentication, remote boot disk selection, interactive text communication and a user access mode.

Effective immediately, Apple has discontinued all versions of Apple Remote Desktop 2.0 and Apple Remote Desktop Up-to-date.

Apple Remote Desktop 2.2 will be available in both 10 client and unlimited license packs.

.Mac members to receive free Dashboard widgets

According to sources, next month Apple will reward members of its .Mac internet service with an exclusive set of widgets for the company's new Dashboard application, which will ship as part of Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger."

The freebees will include widgets not shipping as part of the standard Tiger installation.

Standard Mac RAM boost likely

AppleInsider last month predicted that Apple would boost the standard Mac RAM to 512MB in most of its CPU offerings to coincide with the release of Tiger.

A recent article on Mac insider news site, ThinkSecret appears to corroborate this report. The Web site cites "highly reliable sources" in providing slightly more detail specs for Apple's upcoming iMac and Power Mac G5 revisions.

Inline with previous reports, the site says iMacs will see a bump to 1.8GHz and 2.0GHz, with each model packing 512MB of standard RAM. Meanwhile, predictions for new Power Mac models also include 512MB of standard RAM and processors ranging from 2.0GHz to 2.7GHz.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I assume a friend or relative with a .Mac account could copy the widgets to me. Perhaps they can offer one that shows exactly how much processing is eaten up with that gorgeous ripple effect in Dashboard.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    ......except the eMac, iBook and Mac mini are still stuck with 256mb...not a good idea when these are popular switcher machines.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    ThinkSecret suggests that the top eMac will have 512.

It's a matter of time before the bottom-end Macs catch up to 512.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    So will Remote Desktop 2.2 be a free update to 2.1, or will I have to spend money for an upgrade?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    2.2 is online for purchase in the apple store now.

It doesn't ship for another 2 weeks though

-j
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Briefly: Apple Remoter Desktop 2.2

How much more remote can it get!?!

Apple Even Remoter Desktop Extreme 2.3

• Reply 7 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Squirrel_Monkey

I assume a friend or relative with a .Mac account could copy the widgets to me. Perhaps they can offer one that shows exactly how much processing is eaten up with that gorgeous ripple effect in Dashboard.

Here's a thought... subscribe to .Mac, get all the awesome integration it offers, and qualify rightfully for the perks.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by C.S. Hander

So will Remote Desktop 2.2 be a free update to 2.1, or will I have to spend money for an upgrade?

Free I would imagine.. since those new features listed are just features of 2.0. I would really like the ability to use a locked computer so a student can't see what I'm doing while I work on machines.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolfactor

subscribe to .Mac, get all the awesome integration it offers, and qualify rightfully for the perks.

I wonder if the widgets are actually linked to .Mac functionality.

For instance, I'd like my dashboard stickies (I only recently started using them, but find them great!) to synchronise between computers.

What other widgets might be useful for a .Mac service..?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

Free I would imagine.. since those new features listed are just features of 2.0.

Looking at the complete list of features in Tiger and it mentions the following:

Apple Remote Desktop 2.2 Client

Easily manage Mac desktops with the latest version of the Apple Remote Desktop client, now integrated into Mac OS X Tiger.

So if it comes with the OS, what gives?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by miggs97

Looking at the complete list of features in Tiger and it mentions the following:

Apple Remote Desktop 2.2 Client

Easily manage Mac desktops with the latest version of the Apple Remote Desktop client, now integrated into Mac OS X Tiger.

So if it comes with the OS, what gives?

Thats the client integrated into Tiger, they are talking about the Admin tool
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Just purchased ARD 2.0 Unlimited recently. Will I get the upgrade at no cost? That's my question.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Oh, that was stupid of me.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolfactor

Here's a thought... subscribe to .Mac, get all the awesome integration it offers, and qualify rightfully for the perks.

Here's another thought. Maybe Apple can stop treating non-.Mac subscribing Mac users as second-class citizens by making a ".Mac perk" out of applications and functionality normally viewed as an essential component of the operating system. Why shouldn't someone who shells out money for a Mac (but not .Mac) have a program like Backup (and that means, something built in to the system to automate backups, not just to .Mac accounts)? Why shouldn't iCal work with any FTP server or account for non-.Mac users? There are other examples, but those are two good ones.

As others have said here, maybe these widgets are specific to .Mac functionality, in which case, great. If not, then I can see why someone might want to side-step things.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkswamp

Here's another thought. Maybe Apple can stop treating non-.Mac subscribing Mac users as second-class citizens by making a ".Mac perk" out of applications and functionality normally viewed as an essential component of the operating system. Why shouldn't someone who shells out money for a Mac (but not .Mac) have a program like Backup (and that means, something built in to the system to automate backups, not just to .Mac accounts)? Why shouldn't iCal work with any FTP server or account for non-.Mac users? There are other examples, but those are two good ones.

As others have said here, maybe these widgets are specific to .Mac functionality, in which case, great. If not, then I can see why someone might want to side-step things.

Because they want you to pay for a .Mac account .

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. But then I have a .Mac account .
  • Reply 16 of 17
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkswamp

Why shouldn't iCal work with any FTP server or account for non-.Mac users?

iCal works with a regular WebDAV server.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Where is that client? Or did they swap the client and server terminology? I want both ends. I assumed the client was new for 10.4, and the server was already built into 10.3, but I can't find that client.