Will Tiger include iPhoto and iMovie '04?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone know what iLife apps Tiger will include? The same, stagnant ones included with Panther, or will they update them to the '04 versions? Obviously they won't include GB or iDVD, and iTunes is always available, so this is mostly about iPhoto and iMovie.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JonE

Anyone know what iLife apps Tiger will include? The same, stagnant ones included with Panther, or will they update them to the '04 versions? Obviously they won't include GB or iDVD, and iTunes is always available, so this is mostly about iPhoto and iMovie.

This screenshot was taken on a default Tiger install. It seems that only iTunes comes with it.

Of course iTunes will. The money-maker.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

This screenshot was taken on a default Tiger install. It seems that only iTunes comes with it.

Hardly a "default Tiger install" unless Apple are bundling Virtual PC 7.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JonE

iTunes only.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/
  • Reply 4 of 20
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Hardly a "default Tiger install" unless Apple are bundling Virtual PC 7.

You will note that the Dock hasn't changed much. VPC is running directly from /Applications and will not be in the dock once he quits.

But I judged from the screenshot: if you got more info, illuminate me.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I thought Panther included iPhoto 2? I guess they are trying to get people to buy iLife 05.

My question: If you bought a new computer with iLife 04 preinstalled and din't buy o5 and wanted to do a clean install, how would you get iLife 04 on there? Same thing if you got 05 preinstalled. You could just do an upgrade, but what about when you want to reformat?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by football751

I thought Panther included iPhoto 2? I guess they are trying to get people to buy iLife 05.

My question: If you bought a new computer with iLife 04 preinstalled and din't buy o5 and wanted to do a clean install, how would you get iLife 04 on there? Same thing if you got 05 preinstalled. You could just do an upgrade, but what about when you want to reformat?

iLife installers should be on the discs that came with your Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    so with tiger are people saying there will only be itunes? no more iphoto? i dont really use idvd or i movie but seems it should at least come with iphoto? does this mean anyone buying tiger will need to shell out for ilife 05 too?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

so with tiger are people saying there will only be itunes? no more iphoto? i dont really use idvd or i movie but seems it should at least come with iphoto? does this mean anyone buying tiger will need to shell out for ilife 05 too?

Just as Panther users had to pay for iLife '04.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    defjefdefjef Posts: 62member
    I've never bought any iLife software for my iMac purchased in 2000 (which was running OS 9 at the time) and I currently have iMovie 3, iPhoto 2, and of course, iTunes, all running on a clean install of Panther. I don't recall having to reinstall any of my "i" software, but I am guessing that even if some version of iMovie, iPhoto, and iDVD aren't packaged with Tiger (which I doubt) there would be nothing to prevent one from reinstalling that software without having to upgrade to iLife 05.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

If you want it. iPhoto, iDVD and iMovie all copy over just fine from your previous install. They are left in place if you upgrade-install, just like any other app in your App folder that isn't on the install DVD.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I know that iPhoto 2 came with Panther, not sure how you would have gotten iMovie 3 without buying iLife. But 10.4 Tiger DOES NOT come with any iLife software except iTunbes. If you look at the tech specs for it, it lists all the included software, and on there is iTunes 4.7.1, but no other iLife software. i think tehre is some way to get the iLife apps off of your OS X install disk(s), but I don't know how.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by football751

Well, if you are going to reformat, you will need to back up all of your stuff. You would just back up the iLife 04 apps to the same place, wherever that is.

Now if you are only going to erase a partition, then the smart thing to do is clean-install on the blank partition and then use Migration Assistant, which is part of the install process, to move your old stuff over to the new install partition. It is smart and it will do it correctly.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    defjefdefjef Posts: 62member
    alright, so I'm looking at the Key features list on the side of my Panther box and iMovie 3, iPhoto 2 and iTunes 4 are all listed. I do not see iDVD listed so perhaps someone who has an iDVD capable computer who did a clean install of Panther could enlighten us as to whether iDVD was included in the Panther install and if not, what procedure they went through to install it.

[edit] or just do what lundy is saying
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by DefJef

alright, so I'm looking at the Key features list on the side of my Panther box and iMovie 3, iPhoto 2 and iTunes 4 are all listed. I do not see iDVD listed so perhaps someone who has an iDVD capable computer who did a clean install of Panther could enlighten us as to whether iDVD was included in the Panther install and if not, what procedure they went through to install it.

[edit] or just do what lundy is saying

iDVD was never included with Mac OS X - it doesn't even fit on CDs.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

iLife installers should be on the discs that came with your Mac.

will it be on the Tiger GM i am downloading from P2P ?

just kidding, just kidding, bitTorrent is bad, stealing is bad...
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

will it be on the Tiger GM i am downloading from P2P ?

just kidding, just kidding, bitTorrent is bad, stealing is bad...

seriously, i can't be bothered waiting 2 weeks to get 2+GB and i've only got 256mb... and i also can't be bothered reinstalling, 10.3.9 is flowing very smoothly for my family (2-3 users) so i'm not going to muck it up

oh, and the guilt of course... i just cant do it... you know, in case i run into steve at the pearly gates and he'll be all like.... hey, wait a minute....
  • Reply 17 of 20
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Apple has taken iLife out of the Mac OS X now because iLife will be refreshed every year, where as the OS will not. In addition, if they can get people to buy both Tiger and iLife, they are now richer. Panther came out before iLife '04. The orginal iLife's future was not clear yet, and thus was (mostly) includded into panther. iLife '04 set iLife apart from the OS, especially having another iteration of iLife due before the next iteration of operating system (tiger). Also, Apple has realised that the things that WERE keeping people people from BUYING macs was the software avaiable for macs. Apple gives mac users a solution for everthing media with iLife, and by includding iLife on new computers, that sells computers, while also selling iLifes to already mac users. In a way for new macs, iTunes:iPod Sales::iLife:Mac Sales.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Is iLife still installed on new Macs?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Yes, why shouldn't it?
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

iLife '05 has been shipping with new Macs for a while now. IIRC initially when the Mac mini started shipping iLife '05 was provided as a DVD in the box, by now it's probably pre-installed...