Fantastic Four: Too Sexy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Am I just getting old or does the new Fantastic Four movie seem a little too "sexed up"? How come the invisible chick is all like... well... you get my drift, in the old-skool comics (80s, 90s) she's like a classy smart blonde, in the movie, she seems a bit too "let's get it on in da club" if you get my drift

Dr. Doom is cool, but again, seems a bit too young? Mad scientists are always old-ish professors. And wasn't Dr. Doom from some weird Eastern European country, not America?

*sigh* I'm just 26 and i feel 66 already...

"back in my day, fantastic four wore bright blue spandex costumes, not these svelte-burnished-dark-shiny-deep-blue-high-tech suits"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    Couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    That is why it wil flop.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Rebecca Romain.

Jennifer Garner.

Jessica Alba.

I think we have a casting trend for the Marvel Movies.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

That is why it wil flop.

As opposed to what, X-Men/Spiderman series? How are those not "too sexy"? Yet they did well and are decent.

But yes, I think it might stink, Daredevil-like.

Wasn't expecting the dude that played Philip Bosinney...to be Reed...kinda works I guess?

-10 points for gratuitous use of goddess Jessica Alba.

I love her to death but the last role I want her in is as an invisible woman. DUH.

If they wanted to mix things up, she should have been the human torch
  • Reply 5 of 25
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
  • Reply 6 of 25
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

As opposed to what, X-Men/Spiderman series? How are those not "too sexy"? Yet they did well and are decent.

But yes, I think it might stink, Daredevil-like.

Wasn't expecting the dude that played Philip Bosinney...to be Reed...kinda works I guess?

-10 points for gratuitous use of goddess Jessica Alba.

I love her to death but the last role I want her in is as an invisible woman. DUH.

If they wanted to mix things up, she should have been the human torch

I read a couple of articles that stated FF was going to be more of a comedy than a super hero drama.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that.

My idea of Hell:

An invisible Jessica Alba.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    ROFLMAO

i think with the whole comic books - into - movies, as one of the posters mentioned, we've got a whole shebang now... xmen, spiderman, elektra, sin city, fantastic four

how one responds to it at the end of the day is some unpredictable mix of your childhood experiences with it compared with how you respond to the film.

i really liked xmen 1 and 2 movies, i read some comics but mainly watched the cartoons as a kid, and wolverine is played by an australian actor(!) so xmen movies rocked for me

spiderman, well, visually it was good, but, not sure why it was the huge overwhelming blockbuster hit

elektra - i enjoyed it okay, because i started watching Alias several months ago and i never ever read the comic books

fantastic four - i got into some of the comic books, like when there was that big ass black sphere that if you went in it took you back to some cult-like colony of people where their time went 100x faster inside the sphere than outside... that was cool... and the human torch story where there was a kid that lit himself on fire because he wanted to be like the human torch, and human torch was all messed up because of that. moving, evocative stories that resonated with me, so i might enjoy the movie (i'll go see it with my dad) but i suspect there'll be a lot of cringe-factor.

well yeah i suppose i too will hope invisible girl won't be invisible too much of the time ... or hopefully since this is a 'genesis' kinda plot they are discovering their powers, she'll mainly just try to make her hands only disappear most of the time
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Oh... CGI Thing is looking spot-on though, i have to admit.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    I wish to God someone could rescue Judge Dredd from it's legacy of that shitty Stallone "attempt".

Stallone is to comic book-based movies what Arnold Schwarzenegger is to Philip K. Dick-based movies.

Hellboy was not too terrible (or great) but would have made a better Captain America movie methinks.

Punisher - blech...but I never saw it.

Dammit, we need a kickass (Marvel) superhero TV SERIES about now (no, not Smallville). Effects can handle it nowadays...throw it on Sci-Fi channel.

I vote for a weekly Avengers.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    my main issue with this movie, based on the teaser trailer i saw, is that, unlike some movies where they take a bit of creative liberty, they appear to be taking the entire history of dr. doom, arguably one of the top 5 villains of all time in marvel history, and rewriting it, and it looked like the "space accident" that gives the four their powers merges him with a machine? um, no.

dr. doom self-inflicted himself with the iron mask in an accidental show of bravado and brash audacity. then created the suit to compliment it. he is older, ridiculously intelligent, power-hungry, a wee bit mad, yet still has a sense of, well, not honor per se. but he never, ever breaks a deal. and he always realizes when priorities dictate that he change his plans, which is why he has been recruited in earth's most dire times to fight FOR earth, because, without the earth, he would have nothign to rule. that is victor von doom. doom was vader before vader was vader. period.

and now they seem to be jetisoning that all out of airlock #1.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Yeah, Vader owes his existence to Doom.

The voice. The metal sneer. Cape...trapped behind the mask...

If it wasn't for Dr. Doom, I daresay Vader would look more like just a giant Samurai with an unmasked human face (Dark Helmet ala Spaceballs) or maybe a scarred face, more like a Flash Gordon villain. And the voice would not have been so metallic.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

my main issue with this movie, based on the teaser trailer i saw, is that, unlike some movies where they take a bit of creative liberty, they appear to be taking the entire history of dr. doom, arguably one of the top 5 villains of all time in marvel history, and rewriting it, and it looked like the "space accident" that gives the four their powers merges him with a machine? um, no.

dr. doom self-inflicted himself with the iron mask in an accidental show of bravado and brash audacity. then created the suit to compliment it. he is older, ridiculously intelligent, power-hungry, a wee bit mad, yet still has a sense of, well, not honor per se. but he never, ever breaks a deal. and he always realizes when priorities dictate that he change his plans, which is why he has been recruited in earth's most dire times to fight FOR earth, because, without the earth, he would have nothign to rule. that is victor von doom. doom was vader before vader was vader. period.

and now they seem to be jetisoning that all out of airlock #1.

touchdown..! that's why xmen worked for me -- ian mcellan as Magneto... every good comic book series needs a good Villain... one that is more complex and multi-faceted than bwah ha ha ha evil...

also IIRC victor von doom was from Latvia he has a castle or something, his bloodline is of some eastern european royalty.... cant remember... too... much... partying... during... college... also i have totally repressed all my geek childhood memories : too traumatic
  • Reply 14 of 25
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Doom hailed from "Latveria", one of Marvel's droll little made up countries.

As far as Jessica Alba as Sue Richards goes, it depends on her performance.

The comic story line had her as 10 years younger than her husband, so the age thing isn't really off, and the sex goddess part sort of depends on what era you're looking at.

Like most comics, the style of the characters evolved over the years from sort of "'pleasant looking" to "ludicrously articulated musculature and slightly feral sexuality". Come on down, Jessica.

Fucking with the Doom back-story is, however, very very wrong.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Doom hailed from "Latveria", one of Marvel's droll little made up countries.

Fucking with the Doom back-story is, however, very very wrong.

Latveria. They still could have used that in the movie, f8cking with Doom, i agree, heresy i say!

At the very worst they could have made Dr. Doom English, like most hollywood villains

edit: i guess the Cosmic Rays bombardment depiction of FF genesis is out the window too, because we've had tons of astronauts handle 'cosmic rays' in space and not develop any superpowers ~ so maybe a ship malfunction? solar flare? nuclear accident(too cliche)? space-lab genetic engineering accident? ah, we'll have to see....
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

touchdown..! that's why xmen worked for me -- ian mcellan as Magneto... every good comic book series needs a good Villain... one that is more complex and multi-faceted than bwah ha ha ha evil...

also IIRC victor von doom was from Latvia he has a castle or something, his bloodline is of some eastern european royalty.... cant remember... too... much... partying... during... college... also i have totally repressed all my geek childhood memories : too traumatic

i never really got into the fantastic four comics, and in the 90's anyway, they became MUCH more of a comedic self-parody than any sort of comic drama. but i WAS a big dr. doom fan. and his crossovers into other comics, like avengers, capt. america and spider-man meant that 9.5 times out of ten, the heroes couldn't stop him, he just decided that sacrificing the short-term gain would facilitate the long-term triumph. when double-d got involved, you knew the heroes were in hip-deep trouble. yet he never could break free of just ruling his own little latveria.

like i said, go back and watch the trailers now. i am hoping i am wrong, but it seems they squandering a great character because, hey, they know we'll be there on opening weekend...
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

edit: i guess the Cosmic Rays bombardment depiction of FF genesis is out the window too, because we've had tons of astronauts handle 'cosmic rays' in space and not develop any superpowers

Not true.

1. Man never went to the moon.

2. Hence, man has never been through the Van Allen Belt. I sincerely doubt the Apollo missions were shielded sufficiently, regardless of the orbits they used.

Too bad Cosmic Rays will just give you radiation poisoning... oh well.

Can't wait for China to "go" to the Moon...they either need to fake it like we did or we'll watch them slowly bake (or at least come back sterile and with develop cancer). Let's hope they choose to fake it.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Not true.

1. Man never went to the moon.

2. Hence, man has never been through the Van Allen Belt. I sincerely doubt the Apollo missions were shielded sufficiently, regardless of the orbits they used.

Too bad Cosmic Rays will just give you radiation poisoning... oh well.

Can't wait for China to "go" to the Moon...they either need to fake it like we did or we'll watch them slowly bake (or at least come back sterile and with develop cancer). Let's hope they choose to fake it.

ah from wikipedia too:

"Conspiracy theorists have argued that space travel to the moon is impossible because the Van Allen radiation would kill or incapacitate an astronaut who made the trip. In practice, even at the peak of the belts, one could live for several months without receiving a lethal dose.

Apollo nevertheless deliberately timed their launches, and used lunar transfer orbits that only skirted the edge of the belt over the equator to minimise the radiation. Astronauts that have travelled to the moon probably have an increased lifetime risk of cancer, but would be expected not to (and did not) have noticeable illness."

edit: f8ck the moon. i wanna see humans go to Mars - i don't care if they're chinese, indian, american, russian, english, european, african, mexican or whatever. as long as it's not a f8cking robot or a dog or a chimpanzee... nah actually a dog will be cool... but only if the dog really really wanted to go
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

ah from wikipedia too:

"Conspiracy theorists have argued that space travel to the moon is impossible because the Van Allen radiation would kill or incapacitate an astronaut who made the trip. In practice, even at the peak of the belts, one could live for several months without receiving a lethal dose.

Apollo nevertheless deliberately timed their launches, and used lunar transfer orbits that only skirted the edge of the belt over the equator to minimise the radiation. Astronauts that have travelled to the moon probably have an increased lifetime risk of cancer, but would be expected not to (and did not) have noticeable illness."

But that's just it. They didn't go. Hence, they didn't get sick.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

But that's just it. They didn't go. Hence, they didn't get sick.

Hey, wait a minute, I'm not sick, by your logic that would mean I haven't been to the moon! (Gazes fondly at tupperware container of grey dust)