Monday Night Football to Cable!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Starting in 2006, MNF will be on ESPN. The end of MNF on free TV! I have ESPN, but I find this kind of sad. How long until the Superbowl is on cable and then pay per view?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...l_monday_night

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Nope

Quote:

The NFL will continue to show all cable games on free, over-the air television in home markets. That means that local stations will carry ESPN's Monday night games in the cities of the teams involved.

I would have rioted raped ,murdered and pillaged if they expected me to pay for MNF.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Nope

I would have rioted raped ,murdered and pillaged if they expected me to pay for MNF.

Dude, its only football. And I know you are trying to be funny, but rape isn't.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Dave,

Now you wouldn't be assuming that my victim would be female would you? I guess either way it's a pretty horrendous thought. Keeps me out of prison.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Plus Sunday night football moves to network TV (NBC)

I think it's a good move.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    A long time ago I got used to the idea of watching sports on cable. . . when all you care about is soccer (MLS), football (EPL) , and hockey (NHL) you get used to the idea of non-network coverage.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Sounds good for ABC, from the reports I've read they have been losing money on MNF for a while. With something like 85% of the US wired for cable/satellite, I think MNF will be better served on a sports network.

I wonder if the over-air MNF home games they speak of will be separate local coverage (done a lot in baseball) or a simulcast of ESPN. If it's ESPN we would probably see it on ABC locally, which means they would be preempting the new monday night line up and screwing over fans of whatever shows they stick on monday nights. Local coverage could go to any local station that pays. Or ESPN (ESPN+ / ERT) could offer a syndicated package to the local market (similar to college hoops and football).

It will be interesting to see what ABC airs instead of football. It's going to be hard to keep audiences if they are preempting the shows locally for football.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Dave,

Now you wouldn't be assuming that my victim would be female would you? I guess either way it's a pretty horrendous thought. Keeps me out of prison.

No, I didn't assume. But you're right, its bad either way. No worries, I don't think anyone thought you were serious.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    10 years. Maybe less. Pay-per-channel-packaging with Pay-per-view special content.

I will pay $5 per channel for as many channels as I want. (some packages still exist)

I have 4 VERY large hard drives which constantly record programming for all subscribed channels behind the scenes. The program guide is offset by 24 hours... so that what you see as playing today was actually streamed to your box yesterday. That way you can watch TiVo style any channel you subscribe to in this fashion.

There are still 'live' events (which play as normal) but due to the highly specialized nature of channels these days... people crave control. Why spend $50 for 100 channels? The average person only watches 7 channels a week. Of those, 2 are either new/weather/tvguide/music. Of the remainder, another 2 are for a specific show which airs nowhere else. That means the market is ripe for it.

Give me my pay per viewing of those 'single showes' and let me subscribe to what I watch. No need to constantly broker MASSIVE channel deals and 'fluffed' content. Stop giving me crap I don't want.

Example. Who listens to the 'music stations'? Next to nobody. A couple folks while cooking/cleaning/working out... maybe a couple folks use it for mood music... but come on.. a jukebox it isn't...

So... get people into the mode of subscription television. let us BUY from you the programs we want. Then you can tailor your adverstiting down that much more.

Plus by *saving* me money on what I subscribe to... you are *making* me recognize that I must pay for what I enjoy. Oh wait, next season of star trek comes out on X channel. I don't get X channel. Click click click (with the mouse or remote) and viola, now I do... for an additional $2 a month (or whatever).

10 years. Maybe less. You'll see.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

10 years. Maybe less. Pay-per-channel-packaging with Pay-per-view special content. . . .

The Dish Network offers a pretty a-la-carte channel plan.