who knows where I can find this... LCD question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I want to buy a cute little 10.4" LCD (I have rasons )

IBM or NCR

Anyone know prices /where I can buy one

Thanks

edit ... rasons = Reasons

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

I want to buy a cute little 10.4" LCD (I have rasons )

IBM or NCR

Anyone know prices /where I can buy one

Thanks

edit ... rasons = Reasons

Hmmm.... there are a number of outfits that specialize in small LCD panels such as are used in infometrics or kiosk systems, like these guys.

It's hard to find out where they source their panels, however, because they tend to buy in lots depending on what's out there and what's cost effective, so it changes frequently. NEC and Sharp seem to be the most common.

Also try "mobile video" as a search parameter, since the rise of automobile video systems has fueled a bit of a boom in decent looking small panels. You should be aware, however, that once you drop below 15" you stop saving on square inch cost and start paying for reduced economics of scale-- a good 10" panel can easily cost more than a comparable 17".

If you can, you should be looking for the modules only, since you just end up paying more for really cheesy plastic enclosures when you buy a "system".

For specific manufacturers, you might try searching for "LCD module surplus", or maybe panel surplus. I've used some sites over the years (they tend to come and go) that had fire sale prices on odd lots of old sub-notebook displays and game screens and such. Be advised that as you go back a few years brightness, contrast and off axis viewing fall off dramatically.

and when it comes to suplus, it sometimes means you have to get the panel and the electronics (driver, inverter) separately, which while not insurmountable can be a bit of a pain in the ass.

Bottom line, the mainline lcd foundries don't sell small format directly in the States, they sell to OEMs for various applications. There are Asian importers that seem to handle the stuff directly, but not in small lots and not in English.