Wireless Mouse Annoyance

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just bought a Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 the other day and I think I may take it back. The movement of it is just a little off. I can't even say exactly what it is, but I almost feel like there's a split-second delay in its movements and it's screwing with my head. Also, the movement acceleration is different than my Intellimouse Optical had. All-in-all, I think I may have to try a different mouse.

Any of you have experience with this new mouse? Any other ideas that I might try to smooth things over?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I just bought a Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 the other day and I think I may take it back. The movement of it is just a little off. I can't even say exactly what it is, but I almost feel like there's a split-second delay in its movements and it's screwing with my head. Also, the movement acceleration is different than my Intellimouse Optical had. All-in-all, I think I may have to try a different mouse.

Any of you have experience with this new mouse? Any other ideas that I might try to smooth things over?

if your a graphic designer or someone that is sensitive to quick response mice, yes, i have noticed a slight delay with wireless/bluetooth mice.

if it bugs you, i think try a bluetooth-spec'ed wireless mouse from logitech.

if still unhappy, go with one of those new laser-type optical mice that is wired not wireless, so should have quick response and high dpi but also works on virtually any surface including glass
  • Reply 2 of 16
    So Bluetooth is definately faster than regular wireless? I have been thinking about getting a new mouse, but I do not want any noticable delay whatsoever.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

So Bluetooth is definately faster than regular wireless? I have been thinking about getting a new mouse, but I do not want any noticable delay whatsoever.

ooooh... i really can't say unless you try it out for yourself, if you are already sensitive to a bit of the wireless delay.

i ran into some financial trouble so i sold off my logitech bluetooth wireless mouse 1 year ago, and returned to a simple wired mouse/ or trackpad

i did notice a bit of delay with that logitech bluetooth but i would have a bit more confidence in them today, 1 year later

but if you're already sensitive to a microsoft wireless mouse product, i think you may have to consider a wired mouse, or you could try a few bluetooth/ non-bluetooth wireless mice and see what happens
  • Reply 4 of 16
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Any of logitech's top range of mice is fine. All work as well as their wired counterparts and certainly the laser is far more accurate than any mouse I had used previously.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    That's good to know. I have always preferred Logitech in the past. They just seem like the only company that was serious about them.

I have one more question though. I understand that with the bluetooth mice, you don't actually have to use that hub, is that correct, you can just get one of those tiny usb-to-bluetooth things, or on a laptop use the built in thing, and then charge the mouse every once in a while. Would it still work good like that, or does the hub improve the quality? I assume it would increase the range, what is the range normally though?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The best mouse I've ever used is the Logitech MX500. It has a really good feel that's perfect for design. I do a lot of high-precision 3D modeling, and it accels at that.

A have the MX1000 laser mouse at work, and it's not as good.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

So Bluetooth is definately faster than regular wireless?

No
  • Reply 8 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

How would you rate it overall, because that's the next one I have my eye on. I think I AM going to take that Microsoft mouse back.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

I had a Kensington "regular" wireless mouse and it was atrocious.

I switched to the Apple Wireless Mouse and although it has zero features, and just one button, it is nonetheless instantaneous. Bluetooth seems to be very solid, even with obstacles and distances.

My kensington could not transmit/receive through the thickness of my own iBook (USB adapter on left, mouse on right). The Apple mouse had no such problems.

Get some good rechargeable batteries too.... http://ripvan100.com (note: they proselytize by inserting a Christian tract in your purchases, fyi, if it matters. But the products are great.).
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

The best mouse I've ever used is the Logitech MX500. It has a really good feel that's perfect for design. I do a lot of high-precision 3D modeling, and it accels at that.

I find it funny you said that because I switched away from the MX500 because I used to have so many issues with its precision. Maybe it was just the mouse but certainly I have found the Laser flawless by comparison.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

How would you rate it overall, because that's the next one I have my eye on. I think I AM going to take that Microsoft mouse back.

The Laser mouse is too jumpy during fine movements. I've tried very hard to modify the acceleration settings through special control panels, but it's still not as nice as the MX500. Not nearly. I like my mice to track fairly slowly, and to have really slow "acceleration." That is, I like them to move very slowly during the first few mm's of movement. The MX1000 is alright at doing this on the PC. The drivers seem to work a little bit better. But on the mac it's nearly unusable. Either way, the MX500 on the mac is the best of all.

The MX1000 is simply too jumpy. It's also bulky and heavy, adding to the jumpiness. I don't think I'm ever going to get a wireless mouse again for design purposes, since the batteries weigh them down too much. As for the MX1000, it suffers from being a wireless mouse and from having bad drivers. I'm not sure if a corded version would be more usable or not.

A lot of people out there seem to like fast, jerky mice, and make efforts to set them up that way. If you're one of these, perhaps the MX1000 is for you. Personally, I would be extremely pissed off with it if it weren't for the facts that my company bought it for me, and that I use it on a PC. If I had bought the MX1000, I would certainly take it back, buy the MX510 or whatever, and then by two cases of imported beer with the leftover money.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    You know you could swap MX 500 for MX 1000 in what you wrote splinemodel and you'd have basically written most of my thoughts.

Doesn't mean much I just find it amusing. I will agree the Laser is too heavy though but I always had issues with the MX500's drivers in that after every restart I'd have to reset them or else the mouse was just uncontrollable almost. It's movement speed would just be 5 times normal for some reason.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Well, I exchanged out my Microsoft mouse for the Logitech MX1000 and so far it's certainly nicer. The delay isn't there or is unnoticable. The shape of the mouse itself fits my hand better, and I like all the options with the mouse's buttons. Closing windows with a button-click is very cool.

More later.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Telomar: what kind of computer do you have? I've never had any trouble with the drivers on my PB Ti 1Ghz w/ OS X 10.2, 10.3, 10.4

CosmoNut: Feature-wise, the logitech mac drivers are better than the windows equivvalents because you can perform a combined keystroke+click with a single click. I have my wheel button do a command+click for opening tabs in the web browser. very convenient. I also have a button that does option+click for hiding apps. Really nice. In Windows, you can't do a combined keystroke+click with the same logitech hardware.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Feature-wise, the logitech mac drivers are better than the windows equivvalents because you can perform a combined keystroke+click with a single click.

That's a REALLY nice feature. Right now I have the standard left and right click, scroll, and forward and back browser buttons, then the normal application switcher button is the Expose activator (F9) and the scroll button is minimize window instead of close window (like I mentioned before). That function alone will save me lots of keystrokes or mouse movements.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

The Laser mouse is too jumpy during fine movements.

If you think it's jumpy, don't EVER try the Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0. That thing drove me crazy. The MX1000 has been smooth as silk compared to the Microsoft mouse.