Computer CHAIR recommendations, please...

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, so my chair at home sucks. a $200+ torture device from office depot that has my spine in knots after longs periods of work. i am willing to spend hundreds of dollars if the fit is right, but i'm not made of money, either. hell, i'd love an aeron, but i'm not spending $700-800 on a chair. but if i could find it discount from a reputable online dealer, i might bite. or if anyone else has suggestions. is there any way to trust ebay in something like this? or is there another online auction outlet?

i'm not a big fan of super-big cushy chairs, mostly due to their weight (you'd be amazed how much energy it takes to move a large chair dozens of times a day). the stretchy mesh chairs look good, but is an aeron-doppleganger any good?

anyway, i'm open to suggestions. good experiences? bad ones? any online retailers i can trust?

thanks

wow, i can't believe how bad my typos have gotten lately...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Aerons really aren't that awesome. I don't like the way they feel after sitting in them for a long time. What I find more important than the chair itself is the strategy of keeping it as low as possible, so that you're not bending over to type.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Good thread, I'm also looking to replace my nerd throne (which is actually just a kitchen chair.

Aerons are overrated in my book. I had one at work and swapped it out for a normal, $50 Office Depot job in someone else's office.

I liked the mesh, it was always quite cool, but past that it was a nightmare of back agony and levers.

I think I would like a low, slotted teak wood chair with quiet rubber casters. Oh yeah.

Go to Office Depot or whatever and just sit in a bunch of them. Raise and lower them; visualize them in use. That's my advice.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Go to Office Depot or whatever and just sit in a bunch of them.

pity office depot won't let you sit in them for approximately 8 hours... lots of chairs feel comfortable to me for a few minutes. it's those late afternoon hours that really get to me. i try to get up often and walk around when possible, which helps a little bit.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    I'm looking for a new chair as well and will be working from home soon, so I anticipate long hours in this new chair so any inside info would be great. I have been kinda stuck on the Herman Miller Aerons for some time, but you guys are bringing up good points. I have never sat in one for more than 10 minutes at a time. Although I will tell you that my initial reaction was that it was the most comfortable 10 minutes I can recall.

I dont mind spending a few hundred on a chair either but I want something that's going to last. I seem to remember reading an interview about a year ago with Jonathan Ive about the types of chairs they use in the design office at Apple. I remember googling it and seeing an 8" bar that wraps up from the bottom as the chair's back. Ive commented in the article that the chairs were not only comfortable but they were brilliantly designed and he personally made sure that they were the chairs the designers use in his office. I cant seem to locate the article anyone have any help on this one?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Just found it...

Supporto Chair (Designed by Fred Scott)

Anyone familiar with this chair? I'm curious to see how comfortable/durrable this chair is as well as how available it is.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

Just found it...

Supporto Chair (Designed by Fred Scott)

Anyone familiar with this chair? I'm curious to see how comfortable/durrable this chair is as well as how available it is.

i found an image of it, but it has a custom cover made for it, but it gives you an idea of the size/form.

one drawback for me -- i gotta have arms. my chair at home doesn't, and i end up turning it more to the side so the backrest acts like an arm for me... which is why my posture is so friggin' bad.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i found an image of it, but it has a custom cover made for it, but it gives you an idea of the size/form.

one drawback for me -- i gotta have arms. my chair at home doesn't, and i end up turning it more to the side so the backrest acts like an arm for me... which is why my posture is so friggin' bad.

I dont think thats it... Here is a link that I found to a company in the UK that sells the Suporto Chair.

http://www.ovalinteriors.com/suportobluedescrip.htm

I have sent them an email just to check the availability and see if they having shipping to the US at a reasonable price. I am not sold on this chait either but I'll post the details when they get back to me. I am still kind of partial to the Aeron.