How long 'til a new look iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Was looking at iMacs today, and sitting beside a 20in Cinema Display, it looked a bit ugly. That huge chunk of plastic below the 17in display does nothing for the looks in my opinion.

Problem is, the Mac mini is too underpowered for the money (by the time you add a display), and the PowerMac is way too expensive. If am am going to leave the laptops behind for more power, when will we see a new iMac?

What I really want is an iMac with less plastic under the screen, or a more powerful mini would do me (Mac cube?!) Am I likely to see either by Autumn?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Was looking at iMacs today, and sitting beside a 20in Cinema Display, it looked a bit ugly. That huge chunk of plastic below the 17in display does nothing for the looks in my opinion.

Problem is, the Mac mini is too underpowered for the money (by the time you add a display), and the PowerMac is way too expensive. If am am going to leave the laptops behind for more power, when will we see a new iMac?

What I really want is an iMac with less plastic under the screen, or a more powerful mini would do me (Mac cube?!) Am I likely to see either by Autumn?

you're in for a long wait. i personally think the new iMacs look much better in person than in pics.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

you're in for a long wait. i personally think the new iMacs look much better in person than in pics.

Being more realistic, January?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rc44rc44 Posts: 6member
    Just look back in history at iMac design revs. If memory serves the old candy colored iMacs didn't change for like 3 years, then the little round base iMac was around for 2 I think, then just last summer(?) this new all-in-one clean white plastic model came out. With that, I think the earliest might be next summer.

Quote:

Being more realistic, January?

• Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by rc44

Just look back in history at iMac design revs. If memory serves the old candy colored iMacs didn't change for like 3 years, then the little round base iMac was around for 2 I think, then just last summer(?) this new all-in-one clean white plastic model came out. With that, I think the earliest might be next summer.

Oh well. I'll be looking to buy from September onwards, but could possibly hold off til January for MWSF, but I'll but crying out for a new computer by then. Guess I'll just need to keep my fingers crossed for a 'Mac cube' then. :/
  • Reply 5 of 11
    You're probably in for a very long wait. The gaps between serious design revs have already been given. The other aspect is the design has only been changed with a new processor (iMac Orig - G3, iMac Dome - G4, iMac Flat - G5).

I reacted like you to the bit at the bottom but decided to buy. Now I wouldn't have it any other way, I smile every time I look at it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Guess I'll just need to keep my fingers crossed for a 'Mac cube' then. :/

in case you missed it

anyways, there won't be a design change to iMac's this january, just a speed bump.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

in case you missed it

anyways, there won't be a design change to iMac's this january, just a speed bump.

What I want is iMac performance in Mac mini style design. I know that the mini is too small to allow this, but I'd happily take something twice as tall, and a few inches wider. Trouble is, hell will probably freeze over before I see this unfortunately. I know I could buy a PowerMac, but not at £1000, and I don't want a tower. Guess I'm never happy.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Maybe even not that, if the next speed bump is to occur this summer. I don't expect a new design (apart minor details) for at least 2.5 years. Why 2.5? This was approximately the life span of the helianthus iMac (winter 2002 -- summer 2004). A design known to have contributed to the high prices in the flat panel iMac line. Expect the new very efficient desing to last at least that long, most probably more.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'd say do what you can to spring for a PowerMac G5 or suck it up and deal with the ugly iMac. You'll be waiting a REALLY long time for anything else.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I can't stop laughing.

It seems the day after everything comes out people want new machines.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    When the 23" iMac debuts, sometime after the year of HD, some of the "chin" will disappear somewhat.

Depending on how well the mini does, the next iMac may lose it's head as well.

However, expect this design to soldier on for a while. When it's eventual replacement bows, large LCDs will have gone from extremely cheap, to essentially disposable. Like eMac, an AIO will be kept around for "edu" reasons...