What do you wear to the beach?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Coming from conservative USA, I had always worn traditional swim shorts (this was before long board shorts became popular). Having very thin (and white, and hairy) legs I always felt I looked ridiculous, and therefore rarely went to the pool/the beach.

In Hong Kong, 90% of men wear Speedo style trunks, usually blue, with about 4" sides.

Last year as part of an overall style change, I decided to start wearing less all around. At the very end of the swimming season I bought a very tight black pair of Hom swim trunks, with less than 1" sides. I couldn't wait to try them out, but really didn't have the chance to wear them. I finally tried them in October for a very short trip to the beach.

My God was it comfortable. No longer did I have to worry about air pockets and clinging and my skinny legs poking out of baggy shorts. I had a new confidence, and I just felt like I was made for swimming and sunning at the beach. And I really felt like I looked way better! I felt sexy and confident.

Now I'm a total convert. I will never wear shorts (and especially not baggy board shorts that seem to be getting longer and longer in style in the US -- pretty soon guys will be wearing full length trousers!) to the pool or to the beach again. Even if I return to the US, where some irrational fear of being perceived as gay dictates what men wear, rather than what looks good or functions well.

I know 95% of women and 99% of straight men in the US think wearing Speedos is "disgusting". It's your loss. I used to hate going to the beach and now I can't wait. I like the comfort and I really do look way better. I'm finally confident.

This is just another example of how the US is trailing the rest of the world because of a conservative mindset. The US and the UK are probably the only countries in the world where Speedos are not favored (as well as the homophobic Caribbean).

So what does everyone wear to the beach? Would you ever wear a Speedo? How about swimming laps? Surely guys who swim laps know that wearing shorts would be a ridiculous concept. In school we all have to wear Speedos because they're more functional. So why the change to ugly and inappropriate board shorts as we get older?

(By the way, the above is just half of my swimwear story.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Most of the time, I wear a full length 3-mil wetsuit ...
  • Reply 2 of 41
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I'm actually a big fan of the speedo. Trouble is, that it's not social acceptable, which is weird, since the American media is already fully pervaded by sexual imagery. I wear relatively short trunks that go about half way down the thigh.

And oh yeah. . . I live right on the beach, so I go there a lot. It's definitely to the extent that it's way past the whole fashion thing.

edit: I'm going to go ahead and say that I don't think the unpopularity of speedos has anything to do with conservatism. It's purely a phase that is concurrent with stupidly long shorts for other sporting activities. I can't be certain where is came from, but I can only assume it's a style that was born from the late 80's rap scene. That is, what's more "inappropriate:" wearing long shorts that ride right above your crotch, or wearing short shorts that ride in a natural position above the crotch? And as womens' swimwear continues to get smaller and smaller, it's stange that mens' swimwear just gets bigger. I think it goes beyond the whole homosexual thing.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    A pair of over-priced, below-knee length board shorts.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    jwmjwm Posts: 15member
    It depends where the beach is, the one outside my front door, thermals!! (English joke )

If I'm somewhere warm, knee length board shorts.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    speedos *shiver*

swimming trunks. or at the MOST the adherent long speedos (non underwear type stuff)

Around here (Europe) either the macho or pool or small kids go around in speedos.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Swinging free my friend, swinging free.

• Reply 7 of 41
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    in sydney australia i wore either speedos, wetsuit if i was attempting surfing (hey i can get on the board i just cant stay on very long) or *ahem* nothing at all in some beaches

oh... boardshorts if i was picnicking with friends, with my shirt off to show off to the ladies around the park next to the beach, if the sun was out and if i had been going to the gym

ah... f8cking hedonistic place

ps: long trousers and a jacket/sweater if i am at the beach in winter... yes there is winter in sydney and it does get cold even at the beach
  • Reply 8 of 41
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

(By the way, the above is just half of my swimwear story.)

oh, do share sounds like you've got something more to confess
  • Reply 9 of 41
    iWear this

the coins come in handy, but thats for another thread.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

oh, do share sounds like you've got something more to confess

Not a man thong........
  • Reply 11 of 41
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Like the blue guy:

Wearing one of those shirts protects you from the sun, and spares you the hassle of putting sunscreen on your hairy back.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    ...or waxing your hairy back.

Anyone else here old enough to remember when the "internet" meant the lining in your swim trunks? OK, bad joke.

Speedos are for men in incredible shape who have no shame. I have shame and I am not in incredible shape. Conservative? No, just possessing a realistic self-image. :P

Me? Swim trunks, 2-3" above the knee. I like 'em plain, good quality fabric and netting. Crew neck T-shirt which comes off for short periods of time on the sand, and is off in the water. You know, normal.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    On several non-consecutive occasions I've been told I have "bird legs". I can only imagine that a speedo would amplify this fact.

Until I get some monster calfs and thighs, it's going to be swimming shorts that stop 2" above the knee.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Bikinis, 'Brazil' or early 1970s style. That is small triangle top, and triangle lower part too. I've for years had several pairs, several colors too .. so I think i'll get a black pair fo bikinis, and a yellow pair, with me for the next TX trip.

I can't stand the full body swimming suits. Why would I want to cover my stomach and back too?
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by bucci

On several non-consecutive occasions I've been told I have "bird legs". I can only imagine that a speedo would amplify this fact.

Until I get some monster calfs and thighs, it's going to be swimming shorts that stop 2" above the knee.

Skinny legs are fast legs. Nothing to be ashamed of unless you're carrying a lot of weight upstairs, which seems to me like more of the reason not to wear a speedo. Calfs in particular are mostly useless, and are just like wearing weights on your ankles.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Skinny legs are fast legs. Nothing to be ashamed of unless you're carrying a lot of weight upstairs, which seems to me like more of the reason not to wear a speedo. Calfs in particular are mostly useless, and are just like wearing weights on your ankles.

Heheh... I like your logic. I run a lot, but I guess I'm just not ready for the whole speedo thing. Frankly it scares in frightens me.

About a year ago I went to this party for work. It was summer, and we were all outdoors by the pool. When a few of the foreign guys showed up in speedos, I literally saw several of the mothers cover their kids eyes.

America is not ready for the speedo. Until it is, I don't want to be "that guy".
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Private. Nude. Beach. 'Nuff said?
  • Reply 18 of 41
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bucci

Heheh... I like your logic. I run a lot, but I guess I'm just not ready for the whole speedo thing. Frankly it scares in frightens me.

About a year ago I went to this party for work. It was summer, and we were all outdoors by the pool. When a few of the foreign guys showed up in speedos, I literally saw several of the mothers cover their kids eyes.

America is not ready for the speedo. Until it is, I don't want to be "that guy".

I don't agree - at least in NC people wear speedos all the time. If you are a competetive swimmer, you pretty much have to wear speedos - do these mothers also cover the kids eyes during the olympics?

The US is prudish, but not that prudish. Maybe you are thinking of thongs?

Man thong - yuck!

• Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Man thong - yuck!

I remember seeing the man-thong for the first time (in person) when I was in Miami about a year ago. Let's just say that it takes a certain kind of man to toss on the man-thong, and these types usually stick together.

When in Miami, I usually stick to the fake boob section.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Well im in Aussie ands its actually pretty common for men to be wearing speedos. I wear my Bondi Beach speedos whenever I can because I feel comfortable and they are ideal for lap swimming. I hate the thought of wet dripping board shorts, very uncomfortable, ive tried them.