Obviously I have to preface this with "I'm an idiot but..."

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
... somehow I have disabled Limewire, Acquisition, and Xfactor in one fell swoop.

I can't help but notice that this happened directly after I installed the latest Mac OS update. Acquisition and Xfactor won't connect and Limewire won't even start up.

Any ideas? Or do I just tough it out and see what happens when I install Tiger?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Might be a Java problem. Search the boards here for a workaround if that's the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by specialkbdc

... somehow I have disabled Limewire, Acquisition, and Xfactor in one fell swoop.

I can't help but notice that this happened directly after I installed the latest Mac OS update. Acquisition and Xfactor won't connect and Limewire won't even start up.

Any ideas? Or do I just tough it out and see what happens when I install Tiger?

Search first then post, please. It's the Security Update.

Thread from 4 days ago.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 6
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    So was there a central issue associated with all of this? Was it something they had to patch in the firewall software?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    In some installation circumstances some of the security related Java linked libraries got borked during install. Re-installing Security Update 002-004 reloaded the appropriate libraries which then were pre-bound at the end of that install and fully available with the subsequent restart.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Ok, I was just thinking that since it was 3 filesharing type of programs, in specific, that were affected above, it must have had something to do with the security operation of communication ports of some sort.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    No, it was Java. Java's security is part of the JVM and when one part is improperly linked the JVM cannot properly start. Go here, do this . That should fix it.