Is there a way to download iTMS music to a Mac, but then take it off?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am living in a different city to my Mac... but I have my iPod with me. And I want to download some music off of the iTMS.

Once downloaded to my work Mac I will then transfer it to my iPod... but the question is. That first download will count as one use of the DRM won't it? So once on my iPod am I able to copy it back to my other Mac... or do I have to use one of the third party apps to copy it back.

And what will happen if I delete the original off of my work Mac... will I lose some sort of electronic receipt?

I'm asking because,

iDunno

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

I am living in a different city to my Mac... but I have my iPod with me. And I want to download some music off of the iTMS.

Once downloaded to my work Mac I will then transfer it to my iPod... but the question is. That first download will count as one use of the DRM won't it? So once on my iPod am I able to copy it back to my other Mac... or do I have to use one of the third party apps to copy it back.

And what will happen if I delete the original off of my work Mac... will I lose some sort of electronic receipt?

I'm asking because,

iDunno

before you leave this city where you purchase the music, go to advacned>deauthorize computer. then delete the protected aac files. i would recommend burning a data cd of them too just to be safe. you'll have to put your ipod in manual update mode to do all of these transfers (afaik).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    My iPod is already in manual mode as I have raided the work music server
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

You will have to use third-party software (like Senuti) to copy songs off of the iPod and onto your other computer.

The other option would be to copy the songs that you don't have on your other computer onto a CD and then load them into iTunes when you get back there
  • Reply 4 of 5
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    You can have up to five computers authorised to play your ITMS purchases at any one time. If you de-authorize one, you can then re-authorize another. There's not an aboslute limit on the number of machines you can have authorization on, just no more than five at once. And the iPod does not count towards that number.

I use Podworks to move stuff from my iPod to my computers. I love it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

You will have to use third-party software (like Senuti) to copy songs off of the iPod and onto your other computer.

The other option would be to copy the songs that you don't have on your other computer onto a CD and then load them into iTunes when you get back there

Yeah, or you could just copy them onto your iPod twice, once through iTunes and once through the Finder (if you have enough free space on your iPod), and then copy them back onto your home Mac. Otherwise, use Senuti, it's pretty freakin' cool. And as the others have said, make sure you de-authorize the Mac you bought them on.