First copies of Mac OS X Tiger ship

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday began shipping Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, the next version of its Mac OS X operating system. Although Tiger will not officially launched until April 29th, one MacNN.com reader provided the publication with a shipment confirmation from the Apple Store. The document showed a delivery date of April 25 via Fedex Ground--well ahead of the official release date next week. MacNN says orders with expedited shipping may have earlier delivery dates.

Update: At least two AppleInsider readers claim to have already received their copies of Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" this Thursday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I think there are only going to be rare cases of this. I just don't see Apple getting to everyone several days early. Furthermore, I did not pay for shipping, but the day after ordering they changed my order to 2-day air, so I'm sure they are going to hold it until just a couple days before next Friday.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    kinda makes sense to me. heck, if i saw someone using tiger a few days early, that would make me want to be at the release party even more, if i hadn't already picked up a copy. but, i already ordered, just opted for free shipping, and the only good release party around here will be compusa WAY out of the way, so that ain't happenin...
  • Reply 3 of 78
    Heck, I've waited this long ... another week seems bearable. The good news it that we'll finally have it in our hands ... and yes, talking about it right here in less than a week...
  • Reply 4 of 78
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    I didn't have an option to expedite my order. Do they take that option out for edu buyers?
  • Reply 5 of 78
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    It might just be that there are a lot of Tiger boxes to ship out and they are clearing out some space in the shipping area - and filling those FedEx trucks.

Sort of like moving cattle - move em out! Yeeeehaaaaaa! Pity MS can't do that.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

Sort of like moving cattle - move em out! Yeeeehaaaaaa! Pity MS can't do that.

Oh, they can. Just wait until late 2007 when they ship Longhorn, you'll see.

Chuck
  • Reply 7 of 78
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fatchuck

Oh, they can. Just wait until late 2007 when they ship Longhorn, you'll see.

By then Lion 10.5.3 will be out. 8)

Oh, the MS Shame.....
  • Reply 8 of 78
    Does anyone have any proof of this? I called the Apple Store and they are denying it, but they offered to help me out if I could provide the web order number for the order in question...

(Should i be suspicious or excited?)
  • Reply 9 of 78
    Well, it's not true in my case. My order is slated to go out no later than the 28th by 2nd day shipping.

AppleInsider could verify the accuracy of the 2 people that claim to have copies if those people would provide their order numbers and zip codes to the administrator. That way the order status could be verified.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

I didn't have an option to expedite my order. Do they take that option out for edu buyers?

I'm also an edu buyer. The 2-day shipping is part of their pre-order promotion. Pre-order and the guaranteed delivery by the 29th. So, you're getting expedited shipping.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    ulmoulmo Posts: 21member
    Mine still says expected shipping day 29th April, it's probably because I live in this crap country (UK). To make matters worse, it's also a bank holiday weekend so probably won't get tiger till the Tuesday afterwards. Not that I don't mind bank holidays, we should have more of them :-)
  • Reply 13 of 78
    That's proof enough for me. Wish it was me though! Lucky buggers getting it a full week ahead and with the weekend to play around.

Quote:

• Reply 14 of 78
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    This always happens. I got my previous couple releases prior to the release date by pre-ordering them from apple.

The reasoning is probably as follows: There are hordes of apple users that will do whatever is necessary to get there hands on tiger at the earliest possible moment. If preorders didn't arrive before release date, these people would visit a retail outlet and buy a copy on release day. Then, they would all send their pre-orders back to apple en mass. This would be quite expensive.

To reiterate, I've typically received OS X releases prior to the official release date by pre-ordering from apple.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    supposedly, someone on macnn claims it's build 8A428.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Did anyone order from MacMall expecting delivery on April 29th? There website stated delivery by next Friday, but I just talked to them and they said it won't be shipping now until the 29th. Starting to regret ordering from them now.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CrowFreak

Did anyone order from MacMall expecting delivery on April 29th? There website stated delivery by next Friday, but I just talked to them and they said it won't be shipping now until the 29th. Starting to regret ordering from them now.

I always order directly from Apple. I figure helps there bottom line and then they have a record of exactly what I have bought ever. I have heard they give favors to frequent buyers.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

I always order directly from Apple. I figure helps there bottom line and then they have a record of exactly what I have bought ever. I have heard they give favors to frequent buyers.

Live and learn I guess.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CrowFreak

You can cancel MacMall orders very easy. Just send them an email. I ordered a copy today, seeing if they would ship it, when it became clear they wouldn't, I cancelled.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

You can cancel MacMall orders very easy. Just send them an email. I ordered a copy today, seeing if they would ship it, when it became clear they wouldn't, I cancelled.

I've been contemplating what to do today. If nothing happens early next week, then I will figure something else out.

Thanks for the info about how easy it is to cancel.