Syncing Calenders?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This might belong in Genius Bar, but it's about an Application so...

My partner and I both use iCal for keeping track of appointments, and we'd like to have them synced on our iMac G5 and our Powerbook. Is there a way to do this, without buying a .mac account and going through that?

It would be handy to sync the two systems for everything, Mail, iCal etc etc. Could sync once in the morning and again in the evening, just to keep them up to date.

Is this doable?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    The best way of accomplishing what I think you want would be to setup a WebDAV server (Apple includes everything you would need in their bundle of apache). Here is a link to an old MacDveCenter article on how to do it. Since it is old, there are a few corrections:

Skip the first step... it is done for you. You just have to enable it in the file you will be working on in the second setup. Just look for two lines that says this (they are not together, but close):
    Code:

#LoadModule dav_module libexec/httpd/libdav.so

#AddModule mod_dav.c

and remove the "#"s from in front.

I personally prefer 'pico' to 'emacs', and if you have never worked with either the former is much easier to get going (but admittedly not as powerful). You can just substitute one for the other and everything will go fine.

Oh... and setup 5 was just badly written. Just use the control panel to turn off "Personal Web Sharing" (assuming you had it on to begin with), and then turn it on again. If it does not turn on then you typed something wrong, and ask the list, as it is easier to troubleshoot from that point.

Ok.. once you have WebDAV enabled on the "server", then you setup two different schedules, one on each computer. Then each computer "publishes" its calendar to the server, and the other one "subscribes" to that calendar. Since iCal can show multiple calendars, you will get a view with both, and you can set the updates to be, say.. every 5 minutes, so you can be pretty up-to-date.

PS.. I say "server" but this can be either of the computers, or both...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Oh... I forgot to mention that the solution to the mail issue is to move from POP3 to IMAP as your mail protocol. Your ISP/mail provider may or may not provide this, but it is the solution of choice.

IMAP keeps all of the email mail on the server, and is setup so that multiple people can access the mail store at the same time. When one person moves a message (after a short time) the second one sees it as moved.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Thanks, i'll have a go at that.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    icalx is a really easy way to sync calendars. once you set up an account (just one for both to share), publish your calendars, then on the other laptops subscribe to them. in ical choose auto-update, and refresh every 15 or 30 minutes--whatever. then every time you make a change it's automatically re-published, and your partner will see the new entry the moment the refreshes or after it auto-refreshes. i use this system between by G5 and powerbook.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

icalx is a really easy way to sync calendars. once you set up an account (just one for both to share), publish your calendars, then on the other laptops subscribe to them. in ical choose auto-update, and refresh every 15 or 30 minutes--whatever. then every time you make a change it's automatically re-published, and your partner will see the new entry the moment the refreshes or after it auto-refreshes. i use this system between by G5 and powerbook.

Ah, that's better, a lot easier to set up and use. Great stuff, thanks.