How to add items to 'Open With' right click menu

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'd like to add some applications to the Open With menu i get when I right click on a file, particularly TextEdit. It usually has a default item there and the dialog opens to Applications but I'm getting tired of clicking through to TextEdit. Anyone have a tip for me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    What kind of files are you trying to open? You could use the Get Info panel to change the document type to open with Text Edit as a default.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    one might be an html, the next a css, the next something else (xml). I don't want to mess with defaults, just add to the options. And no, I don't necessarily want to use an editor, I simply need to see the text quickly! TextEdit really sucks for drag and drop for css or html, it acts too smart and shows the html when i want the text. This is unfortunate.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I know this isn't technically what you're looking for, but QuickAccessCM might be worth a shot. And it's free.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Three simple ways to open all these various text files without having them render:

Project Builder

Xcode

SimpleText

Put one of them in the dock and just drag the file to the icon to open. The results are viewable and editable, and PB and Xcode even color code the syntax.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    While I do not recommend this, you could go in and edit the program's Info.plist file, specifically adding CFBundleDocumentTypes.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thepianoguy

Three simple ways to open all these various text files without having them render:

Project Builder

Xcode

SimpleText

Put one of them in the dock and just drag the file to the icon to open. The results are viewable and editable, and PB and Xcode even color code the syntax.

I'll try this, thanks! I have Xcode 2 installed so this should work fine.