CANON PIXMA ip4000 drivers

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi ya'll!

I have a Canon Pixma ip4000, and I'm having quite some trouble using it with my Powerbook G4 (Mac OS X Panther). Once I have downloaded the drivers from Canon.com, I install them just as stated in the instructions. However, when I want to set up the printer, the driver does not appear in the list of installed drivers... Anyone know what I'm doing wrong???

Greetz...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    you are directly connecting the pixma to your powerbook right? Canon does not support printer sharing for Mac OS... sux...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    USB Printer Sharing certainly works just fine with Canon.

As to the problem I can't help you. Just make sure you have everything selected right (ie. USB instead of Rendezvous sort of stuff). Failing that attempt to reinstall the drivers.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pilgrim73

Hi ya'll!

I have a Canon Pixma ip4000, and I'm having quite some trouble using it with my Powerbook G4 (Mac OS X Panther). Once I have downloaded the drivers from Canon.com, I install them just as stated in the instructions. However, when I want to set up the printer, the driver does not appear in the list of installed drivers... Anyone know what I'm doing wrong???

Greetz...

The ip4000 is a wireless printer right ? Are you selecting the correct type of printer driver, i.e. wireless instead of USB ?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    no, there are two types of pixma 4000's one of which is wireless.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    this might be a bit late, but I just found out that the the printer works when connected directly to my mac. However, it is mostly connected to my pc (win). My mac sees it, but not the drivers... suggestions anyone?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    once again, canon does not support mac printer sharing. You cannot share your pixma from windows --> mac, mac-->mac, or mac-->windows. Only windows --> windows is supported. I OWN a pixma printer and have already called Canon about this and they say it is not possible. Also, gimp printer drivers as of yet do not support pixma printers either.

Sad but true...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

once again, canon does not support mac printer sharing. You cannot share your pixma ... mac-->mac.

As I said USB Printer Sharing works just fine.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    The printer drivers for the pixma series do not seem to be packaged as a CUPS file, they take up multiple folders.

In any case, I e-mailed canon to verify about the printer sharing.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Dear ---,

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon

customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We apologize for

any difficulties or inconveniences that you may have been experiencing

determining if the iP4000 can be shared with Macintosh and Windows

computers.

Regrettably, Canon does not support the configuration you have inquired

about. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Tom

Technical Support Representative
  • Reply 10 of 14
    arnearne Posts: 29member
    i own a pixma 3000, which is connected to my

powerbook, running 10.3.7 and is shared with

all the other macs in my flat, which works very

very fine.

whatever canon says seems to be untrue.

arne
  • Reply 11 of 14
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by arne

i own a pixma 3000, which is connected to my

powerbook, running 10.3.7 and is shared with

all the other macs in my flat, which works very

very fine.

whatever canon says seems to be untrue.

arne

if your canon is connected to a mac and you are sharing with other macs, this will work fine with the pixma line

if your canon is connected to a windows pc, and you are trying to print to a windows pc from a mac connected to the windows pc through a network, this may not work very well (canon's statement above)

if your canon is connected to a mac, and you are on a windows pc trying to print to the canon connected to the mac from a windows pc, i think this might work.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

once again, canon does not support mac printer sharing. You cannot share your pixma from windows --> mac, mac-->mac, or mac-->windows. Only windows --> windows is supported. I OWN a pixma printer and have already called Canon about this and they say it is not possible. Also, gimp printer drivers as of yet do not support pixma printers either.

Sad but true...

Well, I guess I'd better stop printing from my iMac to the ip6000 that's attached to my G5, since it's impossible. I hope I haven't made Canon mad.

Should I tear up the prints just to be safe?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I have an IP4000 as well. I wasnt aware of the limitations with sharing between win/mac but I will share my configuration which works perfectly.

Printer Station:

IP4000 + Airport Express basestation

Computer 1:

iMac G5 w/airport extreme

Computer 2:

Shuttle SN85G v2 Athlon 64 with 80211.b wireless + Apple Rendezvous Software for windows (free download)

Both computers connect and share the printer like they were best friends. Although printing from both at the same time really slows things down because the print queueing is slow over wireless. Airport express is a good little router and decent solution to unwire your printer but it doesnt replace a proper standalone print server if you are in a multi-user environment.

• Reply 14 of 14
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Right..... Like Canon's Support Staff has the first clue about Mac OS X.

I have the pixma ip8500, you can do printer sharing in Mac OS X, or access it from a PC. Tricky but works fine. I don't understand why you won't just put it on your mac and access the share from your PC. Just as easy.

That said the canon pixma printers blow all my epsons away.

Quote:

Dear ---,

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon

customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We apologize for

any difficulties or inconveniences that you may have been experiencing

determining if the iP4000 can be shared with Macintosh and Windows

computers.

Regrettably, Canon does not support the configuration you have inquired

about. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Tom

Technical Support Representative