Mail / Mail 2

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anybody know if in either mail or mail 2, can you use POP3 where it downloads messages from the POP3 account but also leaves the original copy on the email account?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Yes you can, just go to the "advanced" tab in account preferences and you should see the option there. It should leave the messages on the server by default.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    If your email provider supports it you should switch to IMAP. this is what IMAP was designed for.

Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Does anybody know if in either mail or mail 2, can you use POP3 where it downloads messages from the POP3 account but also leaves the original copy on the email account?

• Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

If your email provider supports it you should switch to IMAP. this is what IMAP was designed for.

.Mac uses IMAP right? Am I right in think it synchronizes the client with the server? Thus if you move mail to folder in Mail.app, it will be mimicked on the server?

Is this a new thing and will the free ones (yahoo, hotmail, gmail etc) be using it? It seems awfully useful.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Gmail does not allow you to store folders. You can store emails that have folders. It does have a nice search feature. I do store a lot of stuff on mine. I also color code so locating files is not a problem. I tend to have my laptop with me most of the time so IMAP is not really needed. If you are hopping from computer to computer or need to have access to an important file or document at any time then IMAP is what you need.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 12
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Is this a new thing and will the free ones (yahoo, hotmail, gmail etc) be using it? It seems awfully useful.

IMAP has been around for quite sometime. However, Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail only support POP. On top of that, of those three, only Gmail gives you POP access for free. You must pay to use POP on Yahoo and Hotmail. Gmail kicks some serious bootie , though if they had IMAP access my Gmail life would be complete.

For some reason I though that .Mac uses webdav for email, but that might just be the iDisk portion of .Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    You can tell Gmail to keep a copy of your e-mails in the inbox if you use POP to access your gmail account. It's in the Gmail Preferences.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Thanks for all the info.

Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

You must pay to use POP on Yahoo and Hotmail.

I'm using POP access for free on my Yahoo account.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Care to share how?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

.Mac uses IMAP right? Am I right in think it synchronizes the client with the server? Thus if you move mail to folder in Mail.app, it will be mimicked on the server?

yes .Mac uses IMAP, synchronizing with the server and folders and what not has been absolutely excellent for me

just remember that on your computer, you can make folders for "On My Mac" or "on [email protected]" for example... you always would want to go with the later, so that you use only IMAP folders all the time, so you won't have any mail in your local folders (except for Junk mail, that can be a local folder) (it is a local folder by default) because no point storing da Junk mail on the server....
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Care to share how?

The only way I could do that was when I was having a site hosted on Geocities, and it gave me POP access from the Yahoo accounts that I created (Also the domain accounts) for free... without any other fees (Minus the Geocities fee, of course).
  • Reply 11 of 12
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Care to share how?

Hmm. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but mine now doesn't work. The last Yahoo email Mail picked up was on the 13 May... No more POP access for me; I have since moved to Gmail and .Mac accounts.

Yahoo POP access was available through options, and if you look in Y! Mail help, it still shows you how to access POP mail... (Well it did about a week after the 13th May when I looked.) I did have paid for Mail Plus, whether that could be it, I don't know, although that was cancelled a while back, and they stopped taking my cash for it so I really don't know...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Hmm. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but mine now doesn't work. The last Yahoo email Mail picked up was on the 13 May... No more POP access for me; I have since moved to Gmail and .Mac accounts.

Yahoo POP access was available through options, and if you look in Y! Mail help, it still shows you how to access POP mail... (Well it did about a week after the 13th May when I looked.) I did have paid for Mail Plus, whether that could be it, I don't know, although that was cancelled a while back, and they stopped taking my cash for it so I really don't know...

honestly, i've never been a fan of Yahoo. i'm loving .Mac (IMAP) and Gmail (web access, POP available)