Apple Reduces Prices On Cinema Displays

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
CUPERTINO, Calif., April 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple(R) today announced that it has made its award-winning line of widescreen flat panel Cinema Displays more affordable than ever by reducing the price of the 20-inch model to just $799 and the 23-inch HD model to just $1,499. In addition, Apple's new 2.7 GHz Power Mac(R) G5s and 1.67 GHz 17-inch PowerBooks now feature built-in support to directly drive Apple's groundbreaking 30-inch Cinema HD Display, saving customers hundreds of dollars.

"Apple's Cinema Displays now start at just $799, making widescreen flat displays affordable to even more people," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Even Apple's groundbreaking 30-inch Cinema HD Display, with its over four million pixels, is now made more affordable with standard support built into some PowerMac G5 and PowerBook configurations."

Apple's flat panel display line, comprising the 20-inch Cinema Display, the 23-inch Cinema HD Display and revolutionary 30-inch Cinema HD Display, is designed to work with DVI-equipped Power Mac G5 desktops, PowerBook(R) G4 notebooks and Windows-based computers, and offers the widescreen design (16:10 ratio) coveted by creative professionals who want access to more screen real estate. The 30-inch Cinema HD Display has an industry-leading 2560-by-1600 pixel resolution and the 23-inch Cinema HD Display has a 1920-by-1200 pixel resolution, ideal for editing High Definition Television (HDTV) content. The 20-inch Cinema Display professional-quality flat panel offers a 1680-by-1050 pixel resolution, more than enough space to edit full size images with plenty of room for on-screen palettes.

Two systems now feature built-in support for Apple's breakthrough 30-inch Cinema HD Display: the new 2.7 GHz Power Mac G5 and the 1.67 GHz 17-inch PowerBook. Users can also add support for the 30-inch Cinema HD Display as a build-to-order option on the new 2.0 GHz and 2.3 GHz Power Mac G5 systems, as well as the 1.67 GHz 15-inch PowerBook.

Apple Cinema Displays deliver the superior color performance needed to meet the rigorous standards for SWOP-certified display-based proofing systems.* With display-based proofing systems, print professionals can approve jobs for press production onscreen without the need for hard-copy proofs, resulting in significant time and cost savings. Apple flat panel displays provide a broad color gamut and maximum color quality using the industry's best wide-viewing angle technology of up to 170 degrees even when viewing images off-axis.

Apple Cinema Displays feature an all aluminum design with a very thin bezel, suspended by an aluminum stand with an adjustable hinge that makes tilting the display almost effortless. Each Cinema Display features two FireWire(R) 400 ports and two USB 2.0 ports, and support the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) mounting interface standard.

Pricing & Availability

The 20-inch Cinema Display, 23-inch Cinema HD Display and the 30-inch Cinema HD Display are available through the Apple Store(R) (www.apple.com), at Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $799 (US), $1,499 (US) and $2,999 (US), respectively. Power Mac G5 build-to-order options for the Cinema Display line include the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL with 256MB DDR SDRAM for an additional $350 (US) as well as a standalone kit for a suggested retail price of $599 (US) through the Apple Store (www.apple.com).

*Certified systems are capable of producing proofs visually identical to the SWOP Certified Press Proof as defined in ANSI CGATS TR 001, Graphic Technology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    23" iMac?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    $699 for a 20" apple display (edu)
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

$699 for a 20" apple display (edu)

$699? I'd prefer this...
  • Reply 4 of 22
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

$699? I'd prefer this...

ya but i don't like my equipment looking like feces.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Sorry, but I've boycotted Texan products for the time being.

As an acquaintance (who happens to be a Jesuit priest) once joked, "if God intended for Texans to ski, he would have made bullshit white."
  • Reply 6 of 22
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Sorry, but I've boycotted Texan products for the time being.

Why is that, because you're an idiot? (I'm from Texas btw).
  • Reply 7 of 22
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    The nice part about this is that the iMac prices pretty much have to drop accordingly (well, maybe they don't *have* to but how could they not?).

I'm really rooting for the iMac update. If they drop the price and update the GPU (9600 maybe?) I'm there.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    No one will argue that the Apple displays are hands down the

best looking in design, but I simply couldn't justify the price difference

between the Apple 23" HD and the Dell 24" HD on specifications.

Yes the Dell is black and it has a butt ugly pedestal, but

overall the specifications were better that the Apple 23"

I was leaning heavily towards an Apple 20" on affordability

until the Dell education rep told me my final price on the 24" HD.

Apple had to reduce the price on their displays to stay competitive.

I could have literally purchased TWO Dell 2405FPW 24" HD displays

for the price of 1 Apple 23" HD display.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Why is that, because you're an idiot? (I'm from Texas btw).

It's because Texans gave us our idiot-in-chief.

Just like I boycotted products from Wal-Mart. I don't support Wal-Mart's labor practices or their heavy importation of cheap goods made by slave labor. That doesn't mean I have anything against SE asians.

If you take it personally that I would boycott Texan products because of the Bushies, Ken Lay, and a general fuck-you attitude towards the rest of the country and world among Texan politicians, then you're an idiot. The few Texans I know are embarrassed at what their state has unleashed upon the world, just as I would be embarrassed if some redneck buffoon from MI were elected president. I was born and raised in MI, but I'll be the first to say that much of MI is populated by ignorant redneck assholes who treat their women only slightly better than gays and minorities.

That's another thing I noticed about some Texans - many are waaaaay too wrapped up in the superiority of their state. It's a freakin' hunk of land with artificial political lines drawn around it on a map - get over it!
  • Reply 10 of 22
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:

That's another thing I noticed about some Texans - many are waaaaay too wrapped up in the superiority of their state. It's a freakin' hunk of land with artificial political lines drawn around it on a map - get over it!

yet you choose to boycott products from the hunk of land with artificial political lines drawn around it on a map? i guess that means you're not flying on american airlines either?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    My G5 was shipped from Boise Idaho, so I guess

I'm getting a G5 Spud!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

yet you choose to boycott products from the hunk of land with artificial political lines drawn around it on a map? i guess that means you're not flying on american airlines either?

They made the rules, not I.

I'm not quite advocating expelling Texas from the Union, or waging war against the state. All I'm saying is, if we hobble Texas's economy, maybe Texans will take a hard look at who they are electing to represent them. That's all.

It also means driving a hybrid vehicle. I'm proud to say I get over 40 mpg on my hybrid Civic. It's cool because instead of complaining about how our government coddles terrorist-supporting regimes because of the oil they sit atop, I DO something about it, and it's also a kick in the groin to companies like Halliburton. As more and more people drive hybrids, the motivation to wage war for access to oil reserves will decrease (except among warmongering assholes, but that's another topic altogether). Anyways this is totally off topic so I'll cut it off here.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    benjamin_rbenjamin_r Posts: 265member
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to remind you that the thread title is "Apple Reduces prices on Cinema Displays" not " I hate/love Texas and will buy/not buy goods and services from said State"

Please stay on topic and avoid name-calling.... we are a friendly people and a friendly forum..

thanks

b.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

It's because Texans gave us our idiot-in-chief.

Just like I boycotted products from Wal-Mart. I don't support Wal-Mart's labor practices or their heavy importation of cheap goods made by slave labor. That doesn't mean I have anything against SE asians.

If you take it personally that I would boycott Texan products because of the Bushies, Ken Lay, and a general fuck-you attitude towards the rest of the country and world among Texan politicians, then you're an idiot. The few Texans I know are embarrassed at what their state has unleashed upon the world, just as I would be embarrassed if some redneck buffoon from MI were elected president. I was born and raised in MI, but I'll be the first to say that much of MI is populated by ignorant redneck assholes who treat their women only slightly better than gays and minorities.

Didn't Bush come from New England?

Your comments are filled with stereotypes and subtle racism which I will not reply to. This kind of extreme intolerance of other people is not what I would expect from an Apple user. For shame.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    OK.... short of sending you all a PM about Posting Guidelines, try to stay on topic and refrain from political opinion/flame wars about Bush unless you post here PolicitalOutsider .

Remember.... just as you want voice your opinion and have others respect it, you must let others do the same.... BUT DO IT IN THE APPROPRIATE THREAD and avoid calling each other names!

Now, start some rational conversation on Apple Cinema Displays or I will turn this car around right now!

b.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Are we there yet?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

Are we there yet?

NO clearly not!!

Back ON TOPIC! Is there any evidence AT ALL that Apple have/are going to do something about the incredibly poor quality control of the 23" Cin display? I went to a local store which had 2 23", one 20" and one 30" on display (hooked up to 2 G5's) The 20 and 30 looked great, the 2 23" looked dreadful, magneta tinting, stripes fuzzy you name it. I asked the assistant who was clearly switched on about these things about why they looked so bad, he said they had 12 in stock and THEY ALL LOOKED LIKE THAT!!!!! (This is in New Zealand BTW)

What are the chance Apple might switch to using the 24" panel Dell are now using? It seems to have better specs and they have done it before (22->23")
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

23" looked dreadful, magneta tinting, stripes fuzzy you name it. I asked the assistant who was clearly switched on about these things about why they looked so bad, he said they had 12 in stock and THEY ALL LOOKED LIKE THAT!!!!!

Really...? I wasnt aware of any problems with the 23" (which was the one I was going to buy in a few days time!)

I may need to re-access my purchase! Has anyone else out-there had these problems?

b.

P.S. Yes, we are "there" now..... just make sure you go to the toilet before we get going again.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I saw the same thing at my local Apple store.

The 20" display was nice and clear and crisp, while the 23" was clearly pinkish.

You could really see it when they were side to side with a blank white document opened.

The 30" was impressive, but the 20" still seemed to have the best clarity.

Although I really REALLY prefer the design and appearance of the Apple displays,

I bought the Dell 2405FPW 24" HD display with better specs, picture in picture, picture by picture, audio outs, portrait capability and a standard

3 year warranty for half the price of an Apple 23" display.

O.K. true, THE DELL PEDESTAL IS BUTT UGLY!

There's always Machine Shop 101
  • Reply 20 of 22
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    From what i have read on the Apple Forums, the quality control issues with the 23" have improved in the latest runs of the monitor. the problem with the Apple stores from what i understand, is they do not move a ton of high end product, and often leave the same display models up forever, so newew ones are never seen on display, or rarely. the crossgates mall 23"'s all look bad, but the sales people there have told me that the complaints went from constant to rare over the last few months. I would insist on testing any 23 from Apple before purchase, swing by the forums at apple.com to get a better feel, it's been a fiasco, with Apple doing nothing to help people. I'd through down the extra dough to get it over the dell for asthetics alone if it wasnt such a lemon... I'd pay the premium if all was equal.