Apple grabs 3.6% PC market share in March quarter

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple grabbed 3.6% of total U.S.-based PC shipments in the March quarter, up a full percentage point from the 2.6% obtained by the Mac maker during the year-ago quarter, Merrill Lynch said today.

In a research report released to clients and obtained by AppleInsider, analyst Steve Milunovich said the latest market share figures represent "solid evidence of the halo effect."

Echoing rumors on the Mac web, the analyst said he expects the company to roll out new iMac and eMac systems in order to take advantage of the recent hype surrounding Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger."

Milunovich also commented on today's announcement of new Power Mac G5 systems, noting that while pricing of the models remains unchanged, "buyers get more bang for the buck." Still, he believes that consumers new to Apple will opt for lower-cost machines such as the iMac and Mac mini.

"The Power Mac G5 constituted almost 22% of Apple?s computer shipments in F2004," Milunovich wrote in the report. "We suspect this share could decline through 2005 as the iMac G5 and Mac mini are directed to the casual user whereas the Power Mac is better suited for professionals."

His firm believes the price drop on Apple Cinema Displays will ease the burden for professionals who prefer to work with dual monitors.

Merrill Lynch reiterated its "Buy" rating on Apple stock with a price objective of $51 per share. "The stock broke its 50-day moving average, which caused short-term underperformance," the firm said. "But in a growth sector lacking growth, we think investors should be attracted to Apple."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Rememeber, this is US market share, not global. All the figures I've seen, Apple's global market share is actually dropping.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Rememeber, this is US market share, not global. All the figures I've seen, Apple's global market share is actually dropping.

Even if they ARE dropping (we'll see), they are still selling more Macs worldwide than last year. Market "share" isn't the magic number.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I wonder on your figures given the March quarter showed significant increases for Apple in Japan while their US unit sales actually declined, yet still rose compared to total unit sales of all manufacturers.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Doubt it, European sales are growing faster than American sales.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'm not sure what i care about the numbers people keep citing, or how apple's still dying or whatnot. most of us here lived through the mid-90's debacle, and how even the most die-hard apple fans were thinking about jumping ship before it sank completely. and these are so NOT that bad. i see macs, the apple logo, and mac compatibility on lots of items these days. i see way more of the apple logo on t.v. (even if it is for the ipod only, it's still better than the old "annual commercial" they used to do).
  • Reply 6 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

oh no! apple is teh doomed !!!111!!!

ALL YOUR MARKET SHARE ARE BELONG TO MICROSOFT
  • Reply 7 of 8
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Cool, at this rate Apple will sell more computers then Dell sells Pocket PC's. keep it up Apple go get'em.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Cool, at this rate Apple will sell more computers then Dell sells Pocket PC's. keep it up Apple go get'em.

What I would like to know is......

Who did these people consider HP/Compaq? Dell? Gatway? IBM?

Did any of the above see a small loss in shipments?