Computer hangs when using iTunes to rip

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm using v4.7.1 on a Windows XP (SP2) PC.

Every time I attempt to rip one of my CDs, my PC hangs - unusually for XP, there is nothing I can do to recover.

This didn't used to happen, but I've recently reformatted my h/d and performed a clean install of all my s/w. Since then, the iTunes problem has appeared.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Just to clarify is it just one CD or all? If it is just one then it is because it is protected. There was a certain protection that it'd rip 5 seconds then hang.

If it is all...well that's just weird First thing I'd try would be delete and reinstall iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    It's definitely not a protection issue as some of my CDs are almost 20 years old! Its also not a drive issue as I have 2 optical drives and it doesn't matter which I use. It also happens at different times - sometimes immediately, other times I'll get several tracks ripped before the system hangs.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. I've tried cleaning as many registry entries as I could find before reinstalling. Still the same.

In desperation, I even flashed the BIOS of this board back to its previous version earlier today to see if that would do the trick. It didn't.

I'm not completely stuck as I do have Windows Media Player 10 but I happen to prefer iTunes.