Mail question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was typing a message in Mail and I hit apple-S out of habit. It says that saves it, but in the drafts folder, under "Date Received" it says today. Was it sent or was it just saved? I am pretty sure it was just saved, but I just wanted to make sure. Thx.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    That's just the date it was created/saved (not sure which, though; probably last save). Check your Sent folder to double-check (obviously, this only works if you have your Prefs set to save sent messages in your Sent folder).
  • Reply 2 of 13
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I know this has nothing to do with your question...but...I was wondering:

Why doesn't mail have the airburshed metal theme?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    It's in Apple's Human Interface Guidelines (HIG):

Quote:

Brushed Metal Windows

Windows have two distinct looks in Mac OS X. There is the standard default look of windows, as shown in the examples so far. There is also a brushed metal look available, shown in Figure 7-11. You can use a brushed metal window if your application:

* Provides an interface for a digital peripheral, such as a camera, or an interface for managing data shared with digital peripherals?iPhoto or iSync, for example

* Strives to re-create a familiar physical device?Calculator or DVD Player, for example

* Provides a source list to navigate information?for example, iTunes or the Finder

Don?t use the brushed metal look indiscriminately. Although it works well for some types of applications, some applications appear too heavy when using this look. For example, it works well for the iSync application window (see Figure 7-11), but it does not work very well for the TextEdit document window (see Figure 7-12).

Basically, Mail is too complicated an application to have a brushed-metal look, especially when you have a bunch of windows open (when reading or writing messages, for example).
  • Reply 4 of 13
    pbaker05pbaker05 Posts: 143member
    I would like to know how to assign a signature to a specific mail account so that mail is not accidentally sent with the wrong signature attached to it.

I thought this would be fixed in 2.0 but I don't see it.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

I would like to know how to assign a signature to a specific mail account so that mail is not accidentally sent with the wrong signature attached to it.

I thought this would be fixed in 2.0 but I don't see it.

It is there. Mail > Preferences > Signatures
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Weird. In order for the mail accounts to be seen in the left column, I had to delete them and re-create them. Now it is clear how to do it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Those HIGs make no sense to me.

How does Safari fit into one of the criteria for brushed metal windows?

What about system preferences?

It seems more like Apple chooses the window theme based entirely on its visual appeal. Which is fine, but they should just say so.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Mail is a great looking program. I guess they reserve the good stuff and make other apps use the older look.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Apple used to have a HIG team but AFAIK they don't anymore.

Any applications that violate the HIG are generally because Jobs thinks it looks cool, so yeah you're right, they choose the look based on how cool they think it looks.

Current themes

-Garageband - custom wood interface

-Pro Apps - Custom interface inc. dashboards (black transparent things) that iPhoto now also uses

-Aqua

-Aqua/Unified Toolbar

-Brushed Metal

(And yeah I like how Mail 2.0 looks, once you remove the horrible buttons by using Cage Fighter)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    What do they call the new look of Mail? and Help and System Prefs?

Is there any other app that uses that theme?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Mail 2.0 uses Aqua/Unified Toolbar.

If you have Xcode (install off the Tiger DVD) then you also have Interface Builder which lets you go in and change any Aqua application from regular Aqua to Aqua/Unified Toolbar.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

Mail 2.0 uses Aqua/Unified Toolbar.

If you have Xcode (install off the Tiger DVD) then you also have Interface Builder which lets you go in and change any Aqua application from regular Aqua to Aqua/Unified Toolbar.

Cool. Is it tricky for a pretty novice user?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    It's pretty easy to do, but finding the right file can be tricky.

Open up Interface Builder (In Developer/Applications)

Go to File:Import Resource File

Navigate to the Application you want to change.

Then look for the correct .nib file.

For example to change OmniWeb you go to Applications/OmniWeb/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/WebBrowser.nib

Then open up the inspector palette (Tools:Show Inspector) and hit the checkmark for Unified title/toolbar look.

Then save of course.

Problem is selecting the right .nib file. I don't have a huge amount of experience in this regard (I've mostly been fooling around with this stuff in order to better understand it).