Apple files for "Jam Box" trademark

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer on April 18th filed for a trademark on the phrase "Jam Box," which seemingly refers to the controversial FireWire-based Asteroid breakout box that has become the center of an ongoing lawsuit. In the filing with the United States Patent and Trademark office, Apple describes Jam Box as "computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals, namely audio production systems comprised of computer hardware and software for composing, recording, creating, converting, enhancing, processing, amplifying, mixing, manipulating, and playing audio signals."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    My guess would have it comeing out at WWDC.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

My guess would have it comeing out at WWDC.

Why WWDC? The only way that would happen would be if there was something unique about "Jam Box" that developers would need to know.

I'm betting that this device is announced one of these tuesdays.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I wish it would be announced already. I mean, I don't even know if it's what will suit my needs, but it definitely sounds appealing, a low priced apple breakout box for garageband(and assumedly logic as well)

If apple had 2 models, the basic 2 input model and a 4 or 6 input model, that would be very neat.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Why WWDC? The only way that would happen would be if there was something unique about "Jam Box" that developers would need to know.

I'm betting that this device is announced one of these tuesdays.

WWDC because:

a) it seems like it is directed towards Apples pro audience

b) as of now, it apears that there will be no new desktops at WWDC...as far as new laptops...more specificly G5, no one knows but I doubt it...which leaves room for some kind of hardwear at WWDC...aka Jam Box
  • Reply 5 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I don't expect to see anymore hardware announcements at WWDC. It's not a tradeshow in the vein of a Macworld. There are geeks everywhere but they like the programming toolz. If Apple wants to announce Jam Box to an appropriate audience they'd do well to announce at Summer NAMM Show July 22-24th. Bunch of geeky musicians there who'll lap this stuff up like a kitty on whole milk.

I for one would love a nice little firewire box for Audio I/O.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

..... If Apple wants to announce Jam Box to an appropriate audience they'd do well to announce at Summer NAMM Show July 22-24th. Bunch of geeky musicians there who'll lap this stuff up like a kitty on whole milk....

good prediction on timing. also, good analogy

personally i have enjoyed M-Audio's Quattro (USB) "jam box". It is cool and has a nice mettalic finish but a little bit butt-ugly though...

haven't looked at their firewire offerings in a few months, i will go checky it outy nowy.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Here's a pic of the Jam Box

• Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Here's a pic of the Jam Box

mmm... fruity is there apple-jam? can't see the labels
  • Reply 9 of 25
    nebulanebula Posts: 7member
    There used to be a MIDI interface called the JamBox/4, followed by the JamBox/4+ etc. It was the first multi-port MIDI interface on the market and it was Mac compatible. I remember using one with the Mac Plus in the studio I was recording at.

Interestingly it wasn't the most stable piece of hardware in the world, and it would often be referred to as the "Jammed Box" by the studio's proprietor/engineer.

I wish I could remember the name of the company that created it. I'm quite sure they no longer exist, however.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

WWDC because:

a) it seems like it is directed towards Apples pro audience

b) as of now, it apears that there will be no new desktops at WWDC...as far as new laptops...more specificly G5, no one knows but I doubt it...which leaves room for some kind of hardwear at WWDC...aka Jam Box

It is the World Wide Developer Conference.

JamBox (assuming it is some kind of iLife/Garage Band doohicky) is not targeted at this audience.

Think Airport Express here. Apple stunned everyone with the introduction of Aiport Express "out of cycle" from a major event (June 7, 2004). I suspect JamBox will be similar. Less and less is oriented around major events like MW and WWDC. This is good. A device like this probably doesn't warrant it either.
  • Reply 11 of 25

EDIT: Forgot the ****CONFIRMED****.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

THAT is one sweet piece of equipment...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    There seems to be at least two software programs out there called JamBox. In addition, "jambox" seems to be a slang name for any music player, similar to "boombox". I don't think the space will be enough to make it distinctive. This looks like a quagmire to me.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    What's wrong with "iJam" other than the connection to that crap you rub out of your eyes every morning?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Radar about to be jammed:

• Reply 16 of 25
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    according to the recent issue of MacUser UK, Apple has canned asteroid because they could not make it cheap enough. Instead they helped M-Audio bring out their new garageband controller
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

according to the recent issue of MacUser UK, Apple has canned asteroid because they could not make it cheap enough. Instead they helped M-Audio bring out their new garageband controller

that sounds beautiful and excellent. as an electronic music dabbler, my experience is that M-Audio and Apple is a match made in heaven...

imagine that, companies actually working together instead of always trying to beat the crap out of each other (financially, marketshare, mindshare wise)
  • Reply 18 of 25
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Because obviously, a UK magazine would have inside information like this, being extremely close to Apple headquarters.

Seriously, why would Apple bother filing a lawsuit against Asteroid leaks when they don't even care to release the product? Why, furthermore, would they waste R&D on a product like this?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Because obviously, a UK magazine would have inside information like this, being extremely close to Apple headquarters.

Seriously, why would Apple bother filing a lawsuit against Asteroid leaks when they don't even care to release the product? Why, furthermore, would they waste R&D on a product like this?

well, macuser uk is one of the oldest mac magazines.

the small article talks about apple working through every component in the device trying to see if they could save money because they wanted to sell for $120 and still keep their profit margin. they couldn't do it.

if it is true it will not be the first time apple has come close to releasing a finished product after spending a lot of time and money. and it won't be the last.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

well, macuser uk is one of the oldest mac magazines.

the small article talks about apple working through every component in the device trying to see if they could save money because they wanted to sell for $120 and still keep their profit margin. they couldn't do it.

if it is true it will not be the first time apple has come close to releasing a finished product after spending a lot of time and money. and it won't be the last.

yup, that's a perfect example of what R&D is

if not for thinkSecret we would not have known about this except maybe in a paragraph in some book a few years down the line

it is also possible that apple had to pull it because thinksecret ruined their element of surprise and alerted m-audio and other competitors to their plan

bwah ha ha ha ha <evil laugh>