Buying in the US ... sales tax?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hi, i'm off to the land of the free this weekend. Was thinking about buying some mac hardware as it's generally cheaper than here in the UK.

What's the situation with sales tax? If i buy something from the apple store and have it shipped to me in Florida, do i have to pay tax? What about from MacMall or Amazon?

\

tia,

-indie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Indecisive PC user

Hi, i'm off to the land of the free this weekend. Was thinking about buying some mac hardware as it's generally cheaper than here in the UK.

What's the situation with sales tax? If i buy something from the apple store and have it shipped to me in Florida, do i have to pay tax? What about from MacMall or Amazon?

\

tia,

-indie

You'll pay the Florida state sales tax which is 6% through the Apple store. As for the others, it depends if they have operations in the state of Florida or not. Also keep customs fees in mind.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

You'll pay the Florida state sales tax which is 6% through the Apple store. As for the others, it depends if they have operations in the state of Florida or not. Also keep customs fees in mind.

Ok, thanks for the info!

-indie
  • Reply 3 of 7
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Indecisive PC user

Ok, thanks for the info!

-indie

You're welcome. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Where are you going in Florida?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Where are you going in Florida?

Hi, just got back - went to Clearwater mainly but also down to Sarasota for a week.

Great places to visit for a relaxing time 8)

-indie
  • Reply 6 of 7
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Macmall and jr.com ship like in a day. As those don't exist physically in FL state, they don't charge you the sales tax. So I would go for jr.com, and ship in 1-2 days (cheap). Unless you can get student, gov or staff etc discounts of course.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Macmall and jr.com ship like in a day. As those don't exist physically in FL state, they don't charge you the sales tax. So I would go for jr.com, and ship in 1-2 days (cheap). Unless you can get student, gov or staff etc discounts of course.

Thanks Giaguara (and everyone else). Guess i'll have to save the good advice for my next visit over to the US...