PowerBook G4 12" lags on playing DVDs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It looks like every few seconds DVD Player lags and misses frames playing DVDs, I've tried quite a few. I don't think this happened on my iBook in X and especially not 9. Could it be the stupid NVIDIA pos card? I'm really not liking this. It lags! It's a freaking DVD! Especially when the whole screen is moving, it really annoys me. Matsu, anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you upgrade to 10.2.4 recently? i've noticed all sorts of speed hits since that upgrade. check your pagouts, see what they're at now.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 2 of 28
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Pageouts with 640MB RAM when the system is only playing a DVD is bad. I don't think that the GeForce 4 Go is at fault: it may not be as good as a Radeon 9000 Mobility (:rolleyes) but it should be able to play a DVD quite happily.

I ordered the same configuration of PowerBook yesterday. Should be here soon.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    This is a problem a lot of people are having. Me included. There's a slew of people reporting this on the Apple discussion boards and it preceded 10.2.4. Unfortunately it doesn't seem everyone is having this problem (I say that because it means it may not be software :/)
  • Reply 4 of 28
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well it's downright pathetic and a class action lawsuit should be started if Apple doesn't fix this in an update.

I just did an experiment. Golden Eye did NOT skip in windowed mode, at regular size or maximum. However, it DOES skip in Full Screen mode. This is annoying and I'm calling Apple tomorrow. I mean I spent more than $2000 on this machine!

edit: Yes I have 10.2.4 and nothing else running. I ran top and there were no pageouts. I have 640 megs of RAM. GoldenEye, Vanilla Sky, and Austin Powers 2 all skip when in Full Screen mode. This must be a software issue but it's going to be annoying waiting 2 months to fix it.

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: Aquatic ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>Well it's downright pathetic and a class action lawsuit should be started if Apple doesn't fix this in an update.

I just did an experiment. Golden Eye did NOT skip in windowed mode, at regular size or maximum. However, it DOES skip in Full Screen mode. This is annoying and I'm calling Apple tomorrow. I mean I spent more than $2000 on this machine!

edit: Yes I have 10.2.4 and nothing else running. I ran top and there were no pageouts. I have 640 megs of RAM. GoldenEye, Vanilla Sky, and Austin Powers 2 all skip when in Full Screen mode. This must be a software issue but it's going to be annoying waiting 2 months to fix it.

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: Aquatic ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that the skipping only occurs in full screen mode. Not in windowed mode. Not sure what the deal is. I think it must be a video card thing because Diablo II plays like complete shit on it. Funnily enough, UT X does well. I haven't tried other things full screen.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    <a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bbedcf9"; target="_blank">http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bbedcf9</a>;

[quote]Read about this odd little trick on one of the other forums-- while in full screen mode, also have the CPU Monitor app running. You'll notice two things. First, DVD playback uses relatively little processing power (maybe 30-40%), AND the DVD playback is no longer choppy. That's right, when CPU Monitor is running, DVD playback is very good, when it's not, it's choppy in full screen. Obviously, there is some bizarre software problem at work here, that hopefully will be addressed soon.

<hr></blockquote>

This trick DOES work for me! This is really weird. Come on Apple at least acknowledge this is a problem and publish a release saying you're working on it.

edit: you need to have the CPU monitor floating window over the top of the DVD player or else it will still be choppy. This is ridiculous but an interesting fix.

• Reply 7 of 28
    <a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bbedcf9"; target="_blank">Here's the Apple discussion thread</a>. It'll get worked out eventually. Give it time.

edit: you beat me to the link. That's an interesting fix. I'll try it sooner or later...

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 28
    [quote] Well it's downright pathetic and a class action lawsuit should be started if Apple doesn't fix this in an update <hr></blockquote>

Lawsuit? Are you serious? I swear people are all to willing to threaten a lawsuit for the most trivial matters. I hope you're kidding... or at least exaggerating.

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: aribus485 ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 28
    I am. It is kinda annoying tho. It's fscking NVIDIA I bet.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member

<strong>I am. It is kinda annoying tho. It's fscking NVIDIA I bet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Although it doesn't seem to be a CPU processing power problem, traditionally Nvidia cards haven't been as good as ATI Radeons for DVD playback, as the CPU usage can be upto twice that of the equivalent Radeon.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    hmmm... only 256MB here and 10.2.4, NO skippage that I can detect. just played first disc of LoTR. iDunno, weird???
  • Reply 12 of 28
    PhysMem: 62.7M wired, 248M active, 83.5M inactive, 395M used, 245M free

VM: 1.88G + 70.0M 19828(0) pageins, 4379(0) pageouts

I have over half a gig of RAM and look at all those pagein/outs. 10.2.4 is looking shady. <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001967"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001967</a>;

edit: Matsu did you try in Full Screen mode?

• Reply 13 of 28
    Yeah, weird. I don't detect any skips, but mebbe I'm just not paying attention. Mine was an early unit for Canada but rather late by American release standards. Could it be an issue with earlier units?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Yeah, weird. I don't detect any skips, but mebbe I'm just not paying attention. Mine was an early unit for Canada but rather late by American release standards. Could it be an issue with earlier units?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Matsu, given your history of disdain for Apple, I'd say that if you're not noticing any skips, then your machine isn't skipping.

It could be that it's an early release thing, but I can't imagine what the differences would be.

Could you fire up Apple System Profiler and tell me what these values are for your machine:

Machine Model (Powerbook6,1 version = 3.3)

Boot ROM Info (4.5.5f4)

And in the Devices and Volumes tab:

(Under the PCI&gt;built in AGP)

ROM# (2030)

Revision (a5)

My values are in parantheses. TIA.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member

<strong>PhysMem: 62.7M wired, 248M active, 83.5M inactive, 395M used, 245M free

VM: 1.88G + 70.0M 19828(0) pageins, 4379(0) pageouts

I have over half a gig of RAM and look at all those pagein/outs. 10.2.4 is looking shady. </strong><hr></blockquote>

What is your uptime? If you've had it running for a while, those are not many pageouts at all. I have only 256 MB of RAM in my iMac (for now) and I had upwards of 25,000 pageouts after 2 days of use. Pushing her a bit hard with that little of RAM, of course. I'll be adding another 512 this week.

Pageouts aren't evil. Hell, if you have zero pageouts after a few days of use with 640 MB of RAM, you should probably be a bit embarrased. You're not *using* the thing.

Have a little patience on this one, I'm sure we'll see some sort of fix before long.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    I'm not seeing any Lag either {640meg of ram) and I'm watching DVDs through the PB on to a TV Via the Video out deal. not sure what to say.

flick.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Flick Justice:

<strong>I'm not seeing any Lag either {640meg of ram) and I'm watching DVDs through the PB on to a TV Via the Video out deal. not sure what to say.

flick.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it's supposed to be better through the video out. How is it when your watching it fullscreen on the LCD?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    not a very useful post but...

I'm watching on my 12" PB and the DVD playback is perfect in 10.2.4 in fact it plays a few discs that had probs for me on the iBook in 10.2.3...

But I do have a SuperDrive maybe that helps?.....
  • Reply 19 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by robster:

<strong>not a very useful post but...

I'm watching on my 12" PB and the DVD playback is perfect in 10.2.4 in fact it plays a few discs that had probs for me on the iBook in 10.2.3...

But I do have a SuperDrive maybe that helps?.....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Could you check the specs I posted earlier in the thread and post them here?
  • Reply 20 of 28
    My machine and boot rom info is the same as yours. Under the Devices and volumes tab I don't see anything other than a few branches of flow chart.