Some questions before buying an iPod mini

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After thinking long and hard, I have decided to buy a 6GB iPod mini instead of a 30GB iPod photo. I recently changed my mind because this would be my first iPod and I only have about 4.2GB of music and I won't even listen to 1/2 of that most of the time. I also love the mini's size. I think the photo would be overkill right now. Then I'll buy an updated iPod in a year or two when my library has grown and they update iPods.

My questions are:

1. It seems like most people don't have cases for the mini, but I think I want something, at least to protect the screen. I would want a case that doesn't make the mini much bigger, something that's pretty much see-through and doesn't get dirty quickly. Does anyone have experience with the Agent 18 MiniShield, the Agent 18 mini Shock, or the Contour iSee-mini?

2. Also, are there any must-have accessories for the iPod mini? Is a firewire cable worth it for only 4-6GB worth of music? I also plan on buying an AC adapter. If traveling abroad, do I need an AC adapter AND a World Travel Adapter Kit to charge it without a Mac?

3. Is Applecare worth it for the mini? I'll probably upgrade it in 1-2 years. Does the mini's battery get much worse after 1 year?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

After thinking long and hard, I have decided to buy a 6GB iPod mini instead of a 30GB iPod photo. I recently changed my mind because this would be my first iPod and I only have about 4.2GB of music and I won't even listen to 1/2 of that most of the time. I also love the mini's size. I think the photo would be overkill right now. Then I'll buy an updated iPod in a year or two when my library has grown and they update iPods.

My questions are:

1. It seems like most people don't have cases for the mini, but I think I want something, at least to protect the screen. I would want a case that doesn't make the mini much bigger, something that's pretty much see-through and doesn't get dirty quickly. Does anyone have experience with the Agent 18 MiniShield, the Agent 18 mini Shock, or the Contour iSee-mini?

2. Also, are there any must-have accessories for the iPod mini? Is a firewire cable worth it for only 4-6GB worth of music? I also plan on buying an AC adapter. If traveling abroad, do I need an AC adapter AND a World Travel Adapter Kit to charge it without a Mac?

3. Is Applecare worth it for the mini? I'll probably upgrade it in 1-2 years. Does the mini's battery get much worse after 1 year?

1. There are tons of cases for the iPod mini, almost all of them sufficient, many of them very good. Also, simple plastic screen protectors that go right on the screen are sold if you want...and same for the clickwheel. I personaly have used the Agent 18 mini shield, and it is an excellent, inexpensive case. It also happens to be compatible with Apples belt clip on.

2. For the size of your music library, I would not get the firewire cable. Also, not that you are using a PC, but if you are, it most likely doesn't have a firewire port. If I were you, I would just stick to USB 2.0, which is what comes with the iPod mini...that should most deff. be fast enough.

3. I personaly wouldn't recomend Apple Care for the iPod. I find it a waste of money, but then again, it is a little extra reassurance. For battery, no, the iPod mini's battery life does NOT get much worse after the first year, however, you there are things you can also do to prolong your battery life for much longer. Battery lifes don't work on time, they work on numbers of charges, and assuming you charged your iPod ever other day, your battery would last between 2-3 years. One major this you can do to protect your iPods battery is to never let it get completly empty, and also, to charge it as soon as you can. The more you decharge the battery each time you use it, it stresses it out more.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

1. There are tons of cases for the iPod mini, almost all of them sufficient, many of them very good. Also, simple plastic screen protectors that go right on the screen are sold if you want...and same for the clickwheel. I personaly have used the Agent 18 mini shield, and it is an excellent, inexpensive case. It also happens to be compatible with Apples belt clip on.

2. For the size of your music library, I would not get the firewire cable. Also, not that you are using a PC, but if you are, it most likely doesn't have a firewire port. If I were you, I would just stick to USB 2.0, which is what comes with the iPod mini...that should most deff. be fast enough.

3. I personaly wouldn't recomend Apple Care for the iPod. I find it a waste of money, but then again, it is a little extra reassurance. For battery, no, the iPod mini's battery life does NOT get much worse after the first year, however, you there are things you can also do to prolong your battery life for much longer. Battery lifes don't work on time, they work on numbers of charges, and assuming you charged your iPod ever other day, your battery would last between 2-3 years. One major this you can do to protect your iPods battery is to never let it get completly empty, and also, to charge it as soon as you can. The more you decharge the battery each time you use it, it stresses it out more.

Thanks for the very helpful answers!

Just a question about the battery; I run my PB battery to empty once a month because I was told it would prolong its life. I also heard the same was true for the iPod. I'm guessing you're saying that it?s bad to constantly completely deplete it, right? Then when it's almost empty, do you turn it off and charge it?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

If traveling abroad, do I need an AC adapter AND a World Travel Adapter Kit to charge it without a Mac?

Yeah, the adapter kit contains removable plugs that fit onto the end of the AC adapter brick.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Thanks for the very helpful answers!

Just a question about the battery; I run my PB battery to empty once a month because I was told it would prolong its life. I also heard the same was true for the iPod. I'm guessing you're saying that it?s bad to constantly completely deplete it, right? Then when it's almost empty, do you turn it off and charge it?

This is actualy a miss conception. With Nickle Cadmium batterys, such as those AA rechargables it is good to deplete them all the way down because they have a sort of memory about the charge cycle. With InfoLithium batteries, such as those in iPod and PB, it is BAD to discharge the battery all the way, and want to avoid doing that unless absolutly nessesary. Discharging the battery regularly all the way will cause lack of battery life length, however, every once in a while won't hurt, but by the same token, will certainly not help for iPod and PB batteries.

I hope I anwsered your question
  • Reply 5 of 18
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    let's make this clear: you say it's bad for battery life to constantly completely deplete it, but does the opposite also result in such consequences? Will constantly -everyday- charging the iPod also reduce the total battery life?

Or is this good for the battery or has no affect?

Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

let's make this clear: you say it's bad for battery life to constantly completely deplete it, but does the opposite also result in such consequences? Will constantly -everyday- charging the iPod also reduce the total battery life?

Or is this good for the battery or has no affect?

Thanks

I'm also kind of confused how to prolong the life of the iPod's battery.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

I'm also kind of confused how to prolong the life of the iPod's battery.

InfoLithium batteries have a limited number of "Charge Cycles". A Charge Cycle is when a battery gets completly discharged and then fully charged. It is best, if you keep it as charged up as possible. Charging from say 80% full more often is much better than charging from 0% less often. When you charge from 80% that is not a charge cycle. That is a partial charge cycle, and also, the most degradation of the battery occurs when the battery is empty. Also, if you are going on a trip and are not bringing your iPod or Laptop, charge the battery all the way before you leave, and likewise, if you're charge your Laptop or iPod every 2-3 if your not using it durring that time. InfoLithium Batteries slowly lose their juice over a period of time, and if you do not charge, it will eventualy get to empty, and that is the worst for it.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    In essence Li batteries have a fair amount of integrated protective circuitry. This can be a bane if a battery is left at a low charge for a long period of time since in fact it can make it impossible to recharge the battery. Add to that at excessive voltages, which shouldn't happen if the circuitry is all working, you form metallic lithium (this is why you would have heard of exploding batteries, it is a failure of the circuitry to stop overcharging or an excessive build up of Lithium metal). Undercharging leads to the degradation of electrodes that can cause battery overheating, which increases oxidation rates.

What actually tends to end a Lithium batteries life is the formation of oxides and there is absolutely nothing you can do about that.

Only real suggestions are, don't expose it to high heat as that increases the oxidation rate. Don't leave it undercharged for a long time. Li Ion batteries store well on a shelf but before doing so give it around 40% charge.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    You can charge an iPod mini (or any kind) without a Mac too, just by using USB 2.0 and Win2000/XP. I tried it under Linux, and not only did it charge, it also let me play back the music by using Rhythmbox.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

InfoLithium batteries have a limited number of "Charge Cycles". A Charge Cycle is when a battery gets completly discharged and then fully charged. It is best, if you keep it as charged up as possible. Charging from say 80% full more often is much better than charging from 0% less often. When you charge from 80% that is not a charge cycle. That is a partial charge cycle, and also, the most degradation of the battery occurs when the battery is empty. Also, if you are going on a trip and are not bringing your iPod or Laptop, charge the battery all the way before you leave, and likewise, if you're charge your Laptop or iPod every 2-3 if your not using it durring that time. InfoLithium Batteries slowly lose their juice over a period of time, and if you do not charge, it will eventualy get to empty, and that is the worst for it.

So the best thing to always do is make sure to charge the battery right before it gets to empty. And if I go on a trip or something where I don't use the iPod, then I should charge it all the way first. How long does it take for an iPod battery to loose its charge without any use and while it's off?

Also, does the iPod need to be run to empty and calibrated like I had to do with my Powerbook?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

So the best thing to always do is make sure to charge the battery right before it gets to empty. And if I go on a trip or something where I don't use the iPod, then I should charge it all the way first. How long does it take for an iPod battery to loose its charge without any use and while it's off?

Also, does the iPod need to be run to empty and calibrated like I had to do with my Powerbook?

It loses about 5% the first day then a couple % every month after that. I've left a Li battery sitting on a shelf for a year and come back and had it work perfectly so they don't tend to lose it fast. Also iPods actually turn off before they run low too as a safety mechanism.

I've never run my iPods battery down and it still keeps track fine. That said the logic in monitoring battery capacity isn't actually that easy and quite a lot of stuff can interfere. NiCd used to need that to remove memory effects (crystal formation).
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

It loses about 5% the first day then a couple % every month after that. I've left a Li battery sitting on a shelf for a year and come back and had it work perfectly so they don't tend to lose it fast. Also iPods actually turn off before they run low too as a safety mechanism.

I've never run my iPods battery down and it still keeps track fine. That said the logic in monitoring battery capacity isn't actually that easy and quite a lot of stuff can interfere. NiCd used to need that to remove memory effects (crystal formation).

I have found that an iPod loses about a quarter of its battery life from full over the first few days, then, after it fully shuts off, it loses a few percent each day. An iPod battery will usualy lose its charge between 4-6 weeks.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

I have found that an iPod loses about a quarter of its battery life from full over the first few days, then, after it fully shuts off, it loses a few percent each day. An iPod battery will usualy lose its charge between 4-6 weeks.

And does it need to be calibrated before I use it?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

So the best thing to always do is make sure to charge the battery right before it gets to empty. And if I go on a trip or something where I don't use the iPod, then I should charge it all the way first.

Yes, but, charging when the iPod battery is more full is better. So, the major important thing to do is to not let it get completly empty, and as a general rule of thumb, try not to let it go lower than 5-10% full. You want to keep the iPod as charged as possible, so when you can, charging the battery at 80% full for instance, is better than charging it at 10%. I personaly shut off my iPod if it gets to about 15%, and usualy charge it much before it hits 15% when I can.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

And does it need to be calibrated before I use it?

No, not really. When you get the iPod, the battery is empty, and charging that should do any calibration nessessary. Most Info Lithium batteries however, do not NEED calibration.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Yes, but, charging when the iPod battery is more full is better. So, the major important thing to do is to not let it get completly empty, and as a general rule of thumb, try not to let it go lower than 5-10% full. You want to keep the iPod as charged as possible, so when you can, charging the battery at 80% full for instance, is better than charging it at 10%. I personaly shut off my iPod if it gets to about 15%, and usualy charge it much before it hits 15% when I can.

Ok, so let me get one more thing clear: I will use my mini for about 2-3 hours a day. So is it better to charge it every night or like once a week, or is there no difference?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Ok, I read on http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com that it doesn't matter how often you charge the iPod as long as you use it a little before charging it.

What confused me is that the Web site also said it's desirable to occasionally fully discharge the battery, about once every 30 charges, to calibrate the battery.

Before I read to never completely discharge the battery!?!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

My questions are:

1. i stopped using my case for the mini after a few months... i am still to this day amazed how scratch resistant my 1st gen silver mini is. but yeah shopping for a case is a fun part of the experience though

2. i would suggest FireWire cable. because (a) your USB ports have like a million things jammed in them, firewire is sleek, simple, handy, and gives you a bit of a throughput boost over usb 2.0.

3. applecare for the mini would give you the peace of mind for that extra year if you are a heavy iPod listener... howeverr, if you feel you are going to upgrade within 1 year or so, may not be that worthwhile.