Tiger + iMac = fan wind storm!-!@!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ugh

So I have a G5 iMac 1.8Ghz system

Just put on 10.4

when it goes to sleep........ fans go to ultra high....!!!

I thought they fixed that

of note: it had never done this on my system- ever!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    man, that is a bummer. I have a 20" 1.8 G5 iMac myself. I haven't loaded Tiger, yet...

Did you have any problems with you BT keyboard (assuming you have one) working? I have heard several people with iMacs complaining about that.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    my 20" imac G5 has been flawless with Tiger since I installed it thursday afternoon.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    I've seen this on both of my PM G5's - much louder too
  • Reply 4 of 7
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    My iMac was fairly quiet until I upgraded to Tiger. Now it literally screams at me. The whine and buzz are getting to the point that I will not use this machine again! I'll use my 1.5 GHz 12" PB instead. I installed Tiger on it and it works fine and is quiet. My G5 iMac was quiet until I installed Tiger. Maybe I'll have to erase the HD and reinstall OS X 10.3.9 - at least it was quiet! If anybody hears of a fix for this please keep us informed.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I just woke up from my Tiger install, does that make me a non-geek now? (falling asleep during the installation last night?) , and so far so god witht the fans. Everything is normal.

I cloned my .9 installation and migrated everything over during a new Tiger installation.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I just woke up from my Tiger install, does that make me a non-geek now? (falling asleep during the installation last night?)

Membership revoked!

• Reply 7 of 7
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I just woke up from my Tiger install, does that make me a non-geek now? (falling asleep during the installation last night?)

Were the fans your 'alarm clock"