can an iTrip be used 2 transmit tunes from my computer?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey all,

ive currently got my stereo and my computer in completely different rooms, and i was wondering if the iTrip FM Broadcaster can be used to transmit my computer's toons to my stereo?

Anyone know? And if not, are there other products that can?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

Hey all,

ive currently got my stereo and my computer in completely different rooms, and i was wondering if the iTrip FM Broadcaster can be used to transmit my computer's toons to my stereo?

Anyone know? And if not, are there other products that can?

Well most Macs (in fact I think all) have a 1/8" stereo jack...

So that part is good

Most "FM Broadcasters only go 50 some feet (you can thank the FCC for that)

Keep in mind any sound your Mac makes is going to go over the FM wireless and into your stereo a.k.a if you have AIM up and someone on your buddy list signs off... your going to hear the noise!

So simple answer.....is yes
  • Reply 2 of 8
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    using the iTrip?

well a friend of mine has one, maybe i should borrow it. (To see how well my stereo picks it up).

-Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 8
    RECALL....... I take that back.......NO!@! it will not work!

The iTrip gets its power from the iPod

"Another advantage of the iTrip is that it needs no batteries, it receives its tiny amount of power from the iPod, and it can rotate out of the way to charge the iPod while still in use. No more batteries ever again. "

There's not even a power switch - just plug it in and go. It shuts off automatically after 60 seconds of silence - just like the iPod. The iTrip is the ultimate accessory for the iPod because it allows you to share the music and share the fun beyond your headphones.

The iTrip has a little tooth size connection that is shorter than the 1/8 stereo jack.... thats where the iTrip gets power from

it would need something like 1.5 volts

So.... you would some how have to "hot wire" the teeth ( +/- terminal) to get power to the iTrip
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i'm surprised it took 3 responses to figure out it doesnt work. if you just look at a pic of the itrip you can tell that you can't plug in a mini-jack connector because of that extra connector thing.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i'm surprised it took 3 responses to figure out it doesnt work. if you just look at a pic of the itrip you can tell that you can't plug in a mini-jack connector because of that extra connector thing.

I have not played with an iTrip

I had to go to apple.com to see exactly what it was....

However, if someone really wanted to use one- with some work- it can be done
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

I have not played with an iTrip

I had to go to apple.com to see exactly what it was....

However, if someone really wanted to use one- with some work- it can be done

true, but the belkin tunecast II would be much easier for this application of an FM broadcaster. the belkin tunecast sucks for car use, but stationary it could be good. it gets it's power from AAA batteries i believe (i can't find mine at the moment).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    could you plug the Belkin one into an power adapter? Or does it come with one?

Cause AAA batteries are shit. AA are alright (as i own some rechargible ones).
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

could you plug the Belkin one into an power adapter? Or does it come with one?

Cause AAA batteries are shit. AA are alright (as i own some rechargible ones).

Specifications:

*\tTransmits on FM channels 88.1MHz to 107.9Mhz

*\tMemorizes up to 4 FM frequencies

*\tIncludes DC cable for optional battery-free operation when using the Belkin iPod Car Charger (T8881LL/A), not included.

*\tIncludes 2 AAA batteries so you can play music anywhere

*\tPowers ON and OFF automatically

*\tProvides up to 10 hours of battery life

*\t3-year Belkin Product Warranty.

www.belkin.com

You would have to go to Radio Shack and get an adapter thats ( I would guess 3v 300mAh) and make sure you find the right tip size and have the +/- set correct. -using the DC cable (as talked about above)