Graphite PowerMac G4 won't boot

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I offered to troubleshoot a friend's Graphite G4 Powermac, he was reporting that it crashed a lot, especially on hot days. He thought it maybe needed a new fan.

I get it to my place plug it in and it won't boot at all. No whir of drives, no chime. Nothing.

He says it was running fine 3 minutes before he gave it to me and did not open the case.

So I am thinking, it has to be either the power supply is fried or a power supply cable is loose.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this would be much appreciated.

Best,

AllInOne

PS: I have a Blue and White G3. Would that use the same powersupply? I have never attempted to service a powersupply. Do I risk death here if I try to swap them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I wish I could help, but instead I've got a similar problem. Just it's with an iMac 400mhz G3, it's the family computer and I have my own so I don't use it much, but apparently like a week ago it was acting up, and now today after it was put in sleep mode it wouldn't wake up. Now it won't boot either, you hit the power button, and the green light comes on, and goes off after about a second, not even long enough to make the "chime." So I'm guessing it's a hardware problem, and I'm assuming it's the power supply. I don't mean to derail your thread, I just figured both the problems seem to possibly be the same thing. Do you know if per chance your friend had the same problem of the computer not waking from sleep?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    1. Try resetting pram

Restart your computer and depress the keys for Apple+Option+P+R

Then let the computer chime 3 times before you let it boot up

2. Replace battery, if that goes flat all kind of odd things start to happen.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    sounds like a flakey power unit.