The DaVinci code is...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
shit. I have listened to the first two hours of the audible file and its goddam awful. I have read so much good non-fiction the last years and this reminds me that max 2% of fiction is worth reading/listening to.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I will have to agree to disagree with you. I really enjoyed it. I listened to it on a road trip from Dallas to Tampa.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

shit. I have listened to the first two hours of the audible file and its goddam awful. I have read so much good non-fiction the last years and this reminds me that max 2% of fiction is worth reading/listening to.

Anders,

Tell us what you really think .

I agree with you though... It was too similar in structure to Angels and Demons for my liking. Also, the basic premise behind the book was already familiar to me, so it didn't come as a surprise. His other books are OK, but nothing special.

I've just had a similar experience with Tom Clancy's 'Teeth Of The Tiger'. I really enjoyed all his other 'Ryanverse' books, but this was well below par. It was almost as if it was written by someone else and they just put Clancy's name on it to bump up sales.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I will have to agree to disagree with you. I really enjoyed it. I listened to it on a road trip from Dallas to Tampa.

I´ll give the narration five stars except from the comic book french accent
  • Reply 4 of 22
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I have to admit guilty pleasure at reading the DaVinchi code. Its a simple read and entertaining. The only problem that I could possibly say that I have with it is the writing style. IMHO, the book reads like it was written to be adapted to a movie. The chapters are laid out like scenes and all that is missing is an accompanying CD soundtrack. Angels and Demons was the same way. Still, even though the book eschews any attempt at literary aspiration, its a hell of a "faction" story with just enough authenticity to hold the attention of the reader. I for one am looking forward to the coming release of the movie adaptation sometime next year. It can't be a bad thing when Ron Howard and Tom Hanks get together to make a flick.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Geez, I'm sorry, Ander, I could have saved you the time and money on that one. I found it to be incredibly condescending towards the reader. Same can be said other Dan Brown books. I just felt like they talked down to me, and assumed I was an ignoramous who couldn't read between the lines, connect the dots or find my ass with both hands. Couldn't finish Angels and Demons, and I heard as much about the Da Vinci Code.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Well how else do you expect a book to become a national phenomena other than to assume that the reader is a credulous 10 year old?

Having said that, I hope you will all buy my new offering, the sure to be smash best seller "Secrets of the DaVinci Code Diet"
  • Reply 7 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I don't remember exactly what was going on but I literally shouted at the book. It was towards the beginning and it had something to do with the pyramids or something but it was the most condescending-but-still-ignorant reading I've done in a long while.

I threw the book across the room more than once.

Piece Of Crap.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The book is not a piece of shit, and have some interesting content, suspense, but is not a masterpiece of work at all.

Once I read a similar book by Anthony Burgess (similar in the way it deals with christianity only)" The earthly powers"", who dealed with the history of a pope : the book was absolutely Brilliant. They belonged to two differents league definitively.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member

You people have rather blunt (but not necessarily all that good) literary opinions.

Janet Maslin, who I greatly respect, loves the book. And she says something either you guys don't acknowledge or somehow miss:

Quote:

"The Da Vinci Code" is breezy enough even to make fun of its characters' own cleverness. At one point Langdon is asked by his host whether he has hidden a sought-after treasure carefully enough. "Actually," Langdon says, unable to hide his grin, "that depends on how often you dust under your couch."

How can readers withstand such condescension!?!

• Reply 10 of 22
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Now The Celestine Prophecies....that's some pure shit for you. *gag*
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Make fun of its own cleverness? It's not clever.

Maybe "make fun of its own abject stupidity".

The "plot twist" at the end is probably the worst "plot twist" in literary history. I think Dan Brown should refund all the money he has made off his book and set about apologizing to everyone who has ever opened it.

I hope he is genuinely embarrassed by the little sub-economy that has sprang up around his Piece Of Crap book.

And think about me saying this; the book drives Christians absolutely apoplectic with rage, and I still speak ill of it. That's how bad it is.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Haven't read it. Why would anyone after reading Foucault's Pendulum?

--B
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Haven't read it. Why would anyone after reading Foucault's Pendulum?

Ceaseless badgering.

"Have you read it yet?" x 8,000,000,000
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Man... I had been putting off reading this... now you are making me go do it... (back in a bit)
  • Reply 15 of 22
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    I read about half of it just to see what the fuss was about. Am still embarrassed to have stuck with it as long as I did. Agree with the comment above re: Foucalt's Pendulum. Brown is a 10th rate Umberto Eco / Robert Anton Wilson without a sense of humour.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Now The Celestine Prophecies....that's some pure shit for you. *gag*

Yes, that sucked ornery donkey tail as well.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Yes, that sucked ornery donkey tail as well.

Never read that one either, only parts, but it was bad enough having a suggestible girlfriend who had.

Are we incompatible, what type are you, when you say that you really mean this.......

The breakup wasn't pretty.

--B
  • Reply 18 of 22
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Never read that one either, only parts, but it was bad enough having a suggestible girlfriend who had.

Are we incompatible, what type are you, when you say that you really mean this.......

The breakup wasn't pretty.

--B

Greattt...and now I'm stuck with her as one of my roommates.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    It was easy to read. No challenge or requirement to have the story sink in. Comes from having two-dimensional characters with a simplistic plotline. Didn't get bogged down in any of the "controversial" parts because those have been discussed several times everywhere and already knew what to expect. For some reason, it reminded me of a romance novel (yes, I have read one to see how to write one).

I'm guessing the audio book didn't have Shatner-esque reading style to make it entertaining.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

It can't be a bad thing when Ron Howard and Tom Hanks get together to make a flick.

I just reread this.

And you know what?

It can.

--B