overlooked Tiger feature (command keys)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This may not be overlooked by everyone, but it hasn't received much discussion. Tiger allows you to reassign your command keys. This is huge news, as Windows switchers or people with Windows keyboards can change the keys to Control rather than Command as the main modifier. (For example, they can keep using cntrl+s for 'save').

Anyways, just FYI.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jfoustjfoust Posts: 2member
    Wow... that is good news! As much I like the apple way of doing things, having a Dell laptop and using a PC at work gets pretty confusing.

How exactly do you change it? I am not at home right now. Is it in the system preferences under Keyboard?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jfoust

Wow... that is good news! As much I like the apple way of doing things, having a Dell laptop and using a PC at work gets pretty confusing.

How exactly do you change it? I am not at home right now. Is it in the system preferences under Keyboard?

ya i believe so. i only saw it at the apple store when a Tiger developer was giving a demo. use spotlight to find it type "command pref" or something and it should come up.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Not new, you could do this in Panther.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    In Panther, IIRC, you had to edit each keystroke individually.

There is now a prefs panel to modify the modifier keys *globally*. Say, to swap control and caps-lock.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

In Panther, IIRC, you had to edit each keystroke individually.

There is now a prefs panel to modify the modifier keys *globally*. Say, to swap control and caps-lock.

Hm.....bad...

Well, not really since this -is- a multi-user world now and no one should really just "hop on a Mac" and start working....they should log into their own custom environment.

But I suppose there are stubborn people who will have one account for a handful of users...like at a dedicated production/scanning station or something...this is when screwing with default key commands can be annoying.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Which is why you, as an admin, can disable certain SysPref panels.

It's not just switchers. I have *never* gotten used to the ctrl key being where I have to crank my left pinky down and under my hand. Never. In fact, my left pinky *hurts* on a regular basis because of this torsion. I use the ctrl key much more than the average Mac user, being a Unix head as well, so I'll be mapping that puppy to the Caps Lock key ASAP and give my poor digit a rest.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Which is why you, as an admin, can disable certain SysPref panels.

It's not just switchers. I have *never* gotten used to the ctrl key being where I have to crank my left pinky down and under my hand. Never. In fact, my left pinky *hurts* on a regular basis because of this torsion. I use the ctrl key much more than the average Mac user, being a Unix head as well, so I'll be mapping that puppy to the Caps Lock key ASAP and give my poor digit a rest.

Ow, you use your left pinkie for that? Are you kidding? Good lord.

I use my thumbs for both command keys. This isn't typing a letter. You don't need to use proper form for command keys etc. My hands slide outward left and right so my thumbs are off the space bar and on the command keys. Then peck with as many fingers as necessary.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Ow, you use your left pinkie for that? Are you kidding? Good lord.

I use my thumbs for both command keys. This isn't typing a letter. You don't need to use proper form for command keys etc. My hands slide outward left and right so my thumbs are off the space bar and on the command keys. Then peck with as many fingers as necessary.

But the CTRL key is just too far away for the thumb.

Btw. the feature is also nice if you have a Windows keyboard so you can have the option and cmd-key where they belong.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

But the CTRL key is just too far away for the thumb.

Btw. the feature is also nice if you have a Windows keyboard so you can have the option and cmd-key where they belong.

good for mini users.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Sorry, I totally misgrokked what he was talking about. nevahmind
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Don't make my pinky get mad at you...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Don't make my pinky get mad at you...

When I see "ctrl key" I think "cmd key"...argh.