Am I taking care of my Powerbook's battery correctly?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a 15" 1.5Ghz G4 PB that I keep on my desk. Before, I was told that to keep the battery going, since I always have the PB plugged in, I should run the battery to empty about once a month and then recharge it.

I am about to buy an iPod mini and I just read that it?s bad to completely deplete the iPod AND PB's battery. The difference between the iPod and PB is, my PB stays plugged in and the iPod mini's battery would constantly be in use.

So am I still doing the right thing with the PB battery?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    this is something I also would really like to know. I always figured with lithium ion batterys you charge it all the way and kill it a couple times. At least that is why verizon always tells me with my cellphones ect. So even for my canon camera I have always done this type of thing. I would be surpised to hear that you are not supposed to.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

this is something I also would really like to know. I always figured with lithium ion batterys you charge it all the way and kill it a couple times. At least that is why verizon always tells me with my cellphones ect. So even for my canon camera I have always done this type of thing. I would be surpised to hear that you are not supposed to.

The feeling I get from all the posts is that if you use something often, like an iPod or cell phone, it's not good to completely discharge the battery, but instead you should always charge it before it gets too low.

In my situation, I never use the Powerbook battery and this is why I heard to discharge the battery and recharge once a month to keep everything flowing. But I wasn't sure about the PB, so I made this thread.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    if you're going to use your powerbook as a desktop, just run only off AC power. pop out the battery and keep the AC adapter plugged in.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ichiban_jayichiban_jay Posts: 660member
    but if your going to pop out the battery and not use it, make sure it is at 50% when you do it. From what I read it seems that it is better to store batteries at half charge than it is to store at full charge.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    This is what Apple says...

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

What do I do? Well, on my notebook, I try to use at least 30 percent of the battery 3-4 times per week. However, I also drain it down once a month. The iPod I do the same thing, but I don't so much regular use during the week, for my iPod is rarely used.