QT7 & Windows

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, so 1080p content encoded with H.264 needs a dual 2Ghz G5 to playback....

Anyone want to speculate as to what kind of PC horsepower will be needed once QT7 comes out for Windows?

WMV HD (1080p) needs a 3Ghz P4 w/ 512MB RAM, & 128MB Video Card.

I wonder if Apple will be able to meet those system specs with h.264, or is it possible that H.264 will be more processor intensive?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blizaine

Ok, so 1080p content encoded with H.264 needs a dual 2Ghz G5 to playback....

Anyone want to speculate as to what kind of PC horsepower will be needed once QT7 comes out for Windows?

WMV HD (1080p) needs a 3Ghz P4 w/ 512MB RAM, & 128MB Video Card.

I wonder if Apple will be able to meet those system specs with h.264, or is it possible that H.264 will be more processor intensive?

What do you guys think?

Teh 1080p version of Batman Begins plays without frame dropping on my iMac G5 1.8GHz, so it doesn't need a DP2GHz G5.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    Wow that's cool... I only have a 800 G4 so I couldn't test it out... I just went by what Apple posted here .

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    JLL

wow I was at an Apple store testing AVC on an iMac 1.8Ghz and it struggled to play the 720p stuff. How much RAM do you have...perhaps that helps a lot.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    I played them on a Mac mini with a 1.42Ghz G4 and 1GB RAM running Panther w/QT7. Honestly, I didn't notice any dropped frames or anything. My iBook (800Ghz G4, 1GB RAM, Tiger) choked on them, though.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

JLL

wow I was at an Apple store testing AVC on an iMac 1.8Ghz and it struggled to play the 720p stuff. How much RAM do you have...perhaps that helps a lot.

The iMac must have been seriously bogged down. With 1GB they seem to do ok on 720p regardless. As long as you don't run much else 1080p is doable although in most cases it has seemed to be cinemascope or something and not actually 1080p.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yeah come to think of it the demo iMac had a bunch of apps running.

Good I'm feeling better. I'm expecting by the time I buy an iMac it'll be at least 2Ghz
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

JLL

1GB

Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

[B]The iMac must have been seriously bogged down. With 1GB they seem to do ok on 720p regardless. As long as you don't run much else 1080p is doable although in most cases it has seemed to be cinemascope or something and not actually 1080p.

Yes, the BB trailer is in Cinemascope (1920x816) and it plays better in full screen than in a window.

You shouldn't have much else running though, but I would guess that a single 2GHz with a non-crippled bus (if that existed) would handle it fine.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If my 3.06ghz P4 w/ 1.25GB of PC3200 RAM won't run it I will be impressed.

That better be some amazing video.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    whiterabbitwhiterabbit Posts: 208member
    Does anyone know when they're supposed to release it? I think I just read Soon somewhere, but nothing more specific.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    we're putting it through the ropes...

Tiger/Panther QT7 had priority... and you'll see updates for these two pretty soon as well (hopefully)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Teh 1080p version of Batman Begins plays without frame dropping on my iMac G5 1.8GHz, so it doesn't need a DP2GHz G5.

Press Command-I while playing the movie. Realize that you're getting a low-teens framerate. Get a new idea of what a good framerate is.

BTW, I downloaded the Serenity trailer for my G5, and the fact that you can see the grain of the film is awesome.