Upgrading from Final Cut Express HD to Final Cut HD

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
If I upgrade from Final Cut Express HD to Final Cut HD will the neat things I have in Final Cut Express be carried over??

Also, is there any place I cal look or read about how to do cool effects and stuff for Final Cut? e.g. transitions, begeining graphics..etc....

Thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

If I upgrade from Final Cut Express HD to Final Cut HD will the neat things I have in Final Cut Express be carried over??

Also, is there any place I cal look or read about how to do cool effects and stuff for Final Cut? e.g. transitions, begeining graphics..etc....

Thanks!!

uh ya, final cut pro has everything final cut express does, but it's all a lot better and there's much more. i suggest getting a peachpit Final Cut pro book or this
  • Reply 2 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Final Cut Pro has more advanced motion keyframing, more like Flash or something than the rather awkward keyframing in Final Cut Express.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Where can I find good info on how to create cool titles?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    I have a question as well, since I might be upgrading as well. If you record some HD content, can you mix it with DV content? So can you have a project with some High definition edited with DV clips? If so, does that mean you have to downgrade your hd to dv to edit them together, or could your video just have the DV clips look a little worse compared to the High Def. footage? ...there is a ton of DV tape to use, so it would be a waste to get Final Cut Pro 5 if you couldn't use footage from both formats in the same project. If nobody knows, I will just call apple tomorrow; whatever I find out, I will let everyone know as well. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    2-pop . . . . the site for everything, absolutely everything Final Cut:

ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED: THE FORUMS > >> GO FORTH MY SON .... & EDIT
  • Reply 6 of 8
    - j b 7 2 -- j b 7 2 - Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

If you record some HD content, can you mix it with DV content? So can you have a project with some High definition edited with DV clips? If so, does that mean you have to downgrade your hd to dv to edit them together, or could your video just have the DV clips look a little worse compared to the High Def. footage?

Basically, you would edit in an HD sequence, and all the DV clips would have to be rendered up to HD. They won't look as nice, naturally. Or you could do the reverse if you simply wanted a DV sequence.

If you're going to buy FCP, make sure to wait for FCP 5 to be released later this month so you get the latest and greatest. Also, I'm pretty sure there's an upgrade price from FCE.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

[B]Basically, you would edit in an HD sequence, and all the DV clips would have to be rendered up to HD. They won't look as nice, naturally. Or you could do the reverse if you simply wanted a DV sequence.

Just got off the phone with Apple, and that is indeed what you have to do. Either way, there is rendering time involved. Any ideas how long it would take to render the DV footage into the High Def. project? The Apple rep. was guessing it would be real time rendering, so for every minute of DV footage you would use in the High Def. project, it would take a minute to render. Does that seem right? The setup would most likely be the new 2.7 G5 w/ 2 gb Ram.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by cubs23

[B]
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

Basically, you would edit in an HD sequence, and all the DV clips would have to be rendered up to HD. They won't look as nice, naturally. Or you could do the reverse if you simply wanted a DV sequence.

Just got off the phone with Apple, and that is indeed what you have to do. Either way, there is rendering time involved. Any ideas how long it would take to render the DV footage into the High Def. project? The Apple rep. was guessing it would be real time rendering, so for every minute of DV footage you would use in the High Def. project, it would take a minute to render. Does that seem right? The setup would most likely be the new 2.7 G5 w/ 2 gb Ram.

that's probably about right. maybe a little slower than real-time. i sure hope there is some legit reason you are going to scale DV to HD. you're going to laugh at how awful the DV footage looks when it's thrown in with HD. not a good practice IMO.