Help with installing Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I have a 1 ghz Powerbook G4 with a superdrive... except that since the past month, every time I put a disc into the superdrive, it spits it out! So, I'm assuming that the superdrive is gone

Now, I want to install Tiger (who doesn't??), and I have the DVD copy of it, but I CAN'T install it because of, well, see problem above. I do, however, have a FIREWIRE CD-RW drive that I've been using since the superdrive's been acting so iffy. Now, my question is: I can send in my DVD for a CD-version of Tiger from Apple. But when I try to install it, will it be wise to do it through a firewire CD drive?

Thanks in advance!! Oh, and another question... I happen to have a Mini whose DVD drive works perfectly... is there any way I can piggy-back my powerbook through a firewire connection or something and run the installation from the Mini????

THANK YOU!!!

- ghm007

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    If there is an apple store near you, i would drop in there and have them test out the drive or maybe get it repaired. if that isn't an option, buy an external dvd drive. or pay the $10 for the cd media.

Personaly i would just send it in for repair.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I have the same problem. My copy of Tiger installed find on my iBook, but I tried to update my G4, with the same DVD, and it just spits it out--or says a volume was inserted with no data. Very annoying.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Connect your mac mini to ur powerbook via firewire cable.

Restart your Powerbook.

Start Instalation on mac mini.

Change disk drive destination to your powerbook HD
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghm007_2000

Hey guys,

I have a 1 ghz Powerbook G4 with a superdrive... except that since the past month, every time I put a disc into the superdrive, it spits it out! So, I'm assuming that the superdrive is gone

Now, I want to install Tiger (who doesn't??), and I have the DVD copy of it, but I CAN'T install it because of, well, see problem above. I do, however, have a FIREWIRE CD-RW drive that I've been using since the superdrive's been acting so iffy. Now, my question is: I can send in my DVD for a CD-version of Tiger from Apple. But when I try to install it, will it be wise to do it through a firewire CD drive?

Thanks in advance!! Oh, and another question... I happen to have a Mini whose DVD drive works perfectly... is there any way I can piggy-back my powerbook through a firewire connection or something and run the installation from the Mini????

THANK YOU!!!

- ghm007

Or restart the powerbook in target disk mode connected via firewire and install from the mini. I just did this with an ibook and my Tibook-- the ibook only had a cd drive. Worked like a charm.