Gates: 2005 the year of HD

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Seriously, can he not steal anything from Steve Jobs?

http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Gates...d=010000007BWA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Seriously, can he not steal anything from Steve Jobs?

http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Gates...d=010000007BWA

all that is missing is the xbox shuffle and Windows mini.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    What exactly is he stealing from Apple or Steve Jobs here?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

What exactly is he stealing from Apple or Steve Jobs here?

Well...that "The Steve" said 2005 would be "The Year of HD" and now Gates is saying the same thing.

I mean it is kind of a silly and goofy thing to point out...but then so is Mr. Gates.

• Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:

The Steve" said 2005 would be "The Year of HD"

He did? I did not know that.

I think Gates has more of a right to it considering his company actually makes a set-top box.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:

He did? I did not know that.

I think Gates has more of a right to it considering his company actually makes a set-top box.

Steve said at MacWorld SF in January. Gates having the right? Is the set top box HD? Not sure anyone really has the "right." At least Apple is making some HD software products.

Anyway...it's all hooey. Just funny to see Microsoft (at least appearing to be) one step behind Apple.

Good for a quick chuckle in this way too serious world we live in.

• Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Gates having the right? Is the set top box HD?

Yes.

Quote:

[b]Just funny to see Microsoft (at least appearing to be) one step behind Apple.

They aren't.

Microsoft's HD codec will likely be used on HD-DVD or BluRay, whichever wins.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:

Yes.

This one?

Quote:

They aren't.

I did say appearing.

Quote:

Microsoft's HD codec will likely be used on HD-DVD or BluRay, whichever wins.

So is MPEG-4 AVC or H.264 (the one Apple is supporting and developing).

In this game MS is certainly not behind but they aren't really ahead in any truly measurable way either.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    LOL he said the same thing about the digital hub, a few months after Jobs. Just like clockwork. I don't know if anyone has ever seen Gates give a speach - but its really quite pathetic to say the least.

Bit of an idiot mentioning the release of the XBOX, they obviously have never worked with IBM before.

And another thing, it already *is year of HD, not because MS is going to release their stupid box, but because of the price of HD tvs and the available HD programming. Steve didn't say this is the year of HD, because of some product Apple is releasing, he mentioned it because of falling prices of HD gear, namely the Sony HD camera.

I swear to god, Gates is so fucking full of himself and his company it isn't even funny.

• Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

This one?

No.

Quote:

In this game MS is certainly not behind but they aren't really ahead in any truly measurable way either.

They have a set-top box that can deliver HD to HD TVs as well as the VC-1 codec which is going to be on either HD-DVD or BluRay.

Microsoft is pretty far ahead right now. Apple got HD only in QT only on Macs and only on Macs that meet certain speed requirements.

cool gut:

Quote:

LOL he said the same thing about the digital hub, a few months after Jobs.

When was this?

Because Microsoft actually has a viable digital hub device while Apple still does not.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:

No.

They have a set-top box that can deliver HD to HD TVs as well as the VC-1 codec which is going to be on either HD-DVD or BluRay.

Microsoft is pretty far ahead right now. Apple got HD only in QT only on Macs and only on Macs that meet certain speed requirements.

cool gut:

When was this?

Because Microsoft actually has a viable digital hub device while Apple still does not.

Grover...I think you're taking this all way too seriously.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Not seriously enough to start any threads about it.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

True enough.

• Reply 13 of 39
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

"What will the year of high-definition be?" Gates asked, rhetorically.

I take this as validation of Jobs' comment at MWSF. He declared it the year of HD and now M$ is affirming the declaration.

Personally, I expected Bill to whore out XBox some more. Like call it the year of XBHD or something, to emphasize the release of the XBoxen.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

The point is that Bill gates takes something Steve has said and makes it sound like it was his idea. Time after time. That's the point in this thread... easily understood... and very true. What is not understood is why you are being so defensive about it.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

The point is that Bill gates takes something Steve has said and makes it sound like it was his idea. Time after time. That's the point in this thread... easily understood... and very true. What is not understood is why you are being so defensive about it.

Exactly. Gates is the biggest Apple fanboy of them all; he wants to be just like Steve!

See also: Microsoft's New Mantra - It Just Works

BTW, all of Apple's video-related software got HD support this year (iMovie + the Final Cut Studio apps), not just Quicktime.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Do you have any evidence that he got the idea from Jobs?

HD has been around for a long time.

This isn't a case of me simply not wanting to see Gates' mimicry, this is a case of you people not wanting to think that any innovation or ideas exist outside of Steve Jobs and Apple Computer. It's ridiculous.

I think it's idiotic of Jobs to act like it's such a big deal that HD is in QT. It's an extremely limited use; it's only for high-end Macs to use smoothly and there are only a few movie trailers. WOW! WOW!

Meanwhile, other companies have big-ass televisions for people's living rooms and Microsoft has a set-top DVR system with all kinds of different capabilities.

It's a joke. Feel free to worship Jobs, but also recognize that you'll be made fun of (and rightfully so).
  • Reply 17 of 39
    stustanleystustanley Posts: 236member
    I think what these people are trying to say is that when ever steve says something, bill says something like it a couple of months later. It could probably be found the other way round as well but ive never heard it.

However what has annoyed me a liittle in the past few days is when reading reviews of tiger, the reviewer says they stole the features off microsoft, even when steve has been talking about the since he announced tiger, and before the were announced in longhorn. Im not syaing that apple comes up with these ideas, but microsoft didnt either.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    I would swear that this happened when Jobs coined the term "Digital Hub" as well.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    In case you haven't seen this Joy of Tech comic...
  • Reply 20 of 39
    What the father has said, the son will repeat.